Thread: Taking a break after 16 years of Teaching

User Info Menu

Default Taking a break after 16 years of Teaching

Today was my last day teaching in my studio with Voigt Music... after 16 years i will be taking a break from teaching drums and piano. I'm going to take this time to spend with my two beautiful girls who are growing up so much faster than I could have imagined. You hear people tell you, blink and you missed it and until it happens you just kinda think yeah ok... sure..

It was a very difficult decision and there was a lot of sadness saying good bye to students I've taught for years. I'll teach again, I just don't know when. Maybe I can also take this time to keep Rick quiet and finish my basement finally. I'm also hoping to take an advancement at work as one of my coworkers is leaving so I submitted my resume to take his position.

I'll continue to play and maybe even take sometime for myself to get back into practicing and improving for myself.
    I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas Holiday and hope everything goes great in the New Year coming up! 2020 here we come!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Taking a break after 16 years of Teaching

"Maybe I can also take this time to keep Rick quiet and finish my basement finally."

You must know that is not going to happen.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Beautiful family. So fun to watch you grow and develop into such a great father to match your other outstanding qualities.

Glad to know you, Zack!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Enjoy your break .. change is good.

Happy New Year
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You will not regret this decision. It goes by very, very fast. Happy new year.

User Info Menu

Zack I completely respect your decision. When my oldest was born I was dead set on rising up the corporate ladder with all that entailed (time at work, travel, etc.). I realized after a few months of only seeing him an hour or so a day that that wasn't the father or husband I wanted to be. I took a new position at my company (lateral move) that allowed me to work more manageable hours with no travel. I have told every boss I have had since that I do not want to "advance", I love the job I do and I get to be there for my kids. My oldest is now closing in on 15, he is 3 inches taller than me, and I have been able to be there for every major event of his (and my younger sons) life. Sports, school events, music lessons, I get to do it all. I have never regretted the choice I made and I bet when you look back on your choice, you won't regret it either.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

yeah I'll admit I've been very stressed out lately and my wife is extremely stressed with doing all the kid watching and etc.
    Two jobs and a band I'm just always gone..

Here's my schedule:
    Mon: 7-4 work 7-9 band
    Tue: 7-4 work
    Wed: 7-4 work 5-8:30 teach
    Thu: 7-4 work 5-9 teach
    Fri: 7-4 work (sometimes shows)
    Sat: 8-4 teach (sometimes shows)
    Sun: Only day off... do whatever house things I can if wife allows

User Info Menu

There are 168 hours in a week (that's 7 days for those that aren't sure). Somehow you get 182 hours in those 7 days.

How do you do that?
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS