Thread: Neil Peart has passed away

User Info Menu

Default Neil Peart has passed away

I’ve been away for quite some time. But I learned that Neil Peart passed away today from complications of brain cancer. I am speechless. Definitely hits hard. RIP to the professor who has inspired me since day 1. You will never be forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Neil Peart has passed away

This took me by surprise. No words.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

My brother just showed this to me, huge surprise. They’re saying he actually passed a few days ago.

User Info Menu

I never heard anything about brain cancer but a news story I saw reflected he has been battling for three and a half years.
    RIP NP.................what an in credible drummer/lyricist/man.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My other mentor. :(

Now he and Jeff Porcaro and can look down on all the goodness they've left the world.

We have great memories and even some inspired rhythms and drum sets as tribute!

I know I'm grateful to have lived in the same time period they did.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

This is very sad .

User Info Menu

It occurred to me that this would be discussed, here.

I wanted to post here in regards to it, because this place has helped shape me into who I am now, which I'm thankful for.
    But when I was *really* posting here, I was also just getting into Rush and researching Neil and his technique and such.

He ended up unknowingly teaching me a lot. I know that can be said for many people, especially here. But I don't think I can really say the true extent of his influence on me.

On surface level, it was clear that I wanted to be a drummer like him. I even expanded my Tama 4-piece into a 10-piece, if you include timbales. Splash cymbals, China cymbals, different kinds of crash cymbals, racks, even going back and forth between whether I should use pedal or a 2nd bass - Simply looking at Neil's kit inspired all of this. I didn't go through with a lot of it still, but I managed to morph my own kit into the closest I could manage to be able to play his stuff.
    When I gave up Vic Firth sticks for Pro mark, it was largely due to many broken sticks, and seeing that Neil used Pro mark. I still have 2 sets of his signature Clockwork Angels sticks, and I've been using them for years.

Style-wise, a lot of my own style comes from his. He had this incredible sense of syncopation that I had to really listen and learn. I'm still nowhere near his level in terms of raw chops, but it definitely gets me through setlists.

And then there comes the sociology of his writing. He asks everyone to continue to be curious, to wonder at the world, and really question what makes us what we are. Even when I'm off the kit, I try and incorporate that into my own art. To this day, he inspires me to do what seems impossible. I can be a fool for doing that, sure. But seeing how his life went, all I can say is I'll be darned if I don't try.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

this is a huge tragedy in the music world and definitely in the drumming community.
    He has influenced so many people and bands.
    It has definitely come as a shock. During a recent interview he said nothing about his health struggles...

User Info Menu

Done too soon. RIP Neil Peart

User Info Menu

Saw the news on YT and didn't believe it until i looked around a little more.. . unbelievable .. wiki says he kept his cancer quite private. RIP

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Very sad news indeed. Im just astonished as to how this was kept so quiet, he was living in santa monica.
    Neil Peart was a tremendous drummer with god given talent but certainly not a rock star, he was more of an artist who was a master at his craft and one of the best of all time. He seemed like a very kind man and was very well liked and respected by everyone. It bothers me immensly that he endured brain cancer. He is certainly in heaven, at peace, and will be sorely missed.
    Last edited by Lexer; 01-13-2020 at 09:56 AM.

User Info Menu

One of the greatest ever and a really nice human being. I hope Rush does not try to replace him.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    One of the greatest ever and a really nice human being. I hope Rush does not try to replace him.
    Well in all honestly they did call but I am kinda wrapped up in a local project and with work and all, I just don't have the time.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Well in all honestly they did call but I am kinda wrapped up in a local project and with work and all, I just don't have the time.
    I will pm you my number to give to them. I can do it but not till after February, I have 2 American Legion gigs and one at the Elks club.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Neil was the G.O.A.T. He gave a whole new meaning to the word "smooth."
    God bless, Neil......R.I.P. Brother

User Info Menu

I am sadden with the loss of such a great Canadian drummer who contributed 40+ years to the industry. I saw Neil back in 1987 in Ottawa and I was amazed with his drumming. RIP Neil you will be missed by many.