Thread: What are your favorite mic holders for snare and toms?

User Info Menu

Default What are your favorite mic holders for snare and toms?

I'm still using the old LP claws but they're beat up and I was thinking about trying something new.

What mic holders are you guys using these days for your toms/snare drums (still the LP claws)? What mounts the best, doesn't move and stays out of the way?

LP592A-X.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: What are your favorite mic holders for snare and toms?

2 blondes. Infinite adjustments and they will also hold your beer.

Simple solutions for a complex world.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I use Sennheiser e604's for live snare and tom duties. They come with their own rim mount.

product_detail_x2_desktop_e604-Sennheiser.jpg
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    I use Sennheiser e604's for live snare and tom duties. They come with their own rim mount.

product_detail_x2_desktop_e604-Sennheiser.jpg
    these are my favorite mics. . . I love when the sound company uses these when we play out. They are small and stay out of the way and sound great.

User Info Menu

My blondes come with several ways to mount them and the carrying case is a sight to behold.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Man, those Sennheisers are beautiful. I didn't really want to buy the full mics but I like the idea that they take up a lot less room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Man, those Sennheisers are beautiful. I didn't really want to buy the full mics but I like the idea that they take up a lot less room.
    Yep, that's one of the reasons I really like these mic's. They do a great job, are sturdy, well made and stay out of the way of my flaying sticks. They are a pretty good all purpse mic and are often used on other instruments such as brass and woodwind. Definitely recommend them for the gigging drummer who values decent sound quality as well as ease of setup. For example, when mic'ing up a snare, I will always try any place the null area (in this case the area behind the mic where the pick up pattern disappears) towards the hi-hat in order to avoid spill. These are so compact that it is pretty easy to do. I also like the sonic results I get from either an SM57 or an i5 but they are longer units so achieving good placement can be trickier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Yep, that's one of the reasons I really like these mic's. They do a great job, are sturdy, well made and stay out of the way of my flaying sticks. They are a pretty good all purpse mic and are often used on other instruments such as brass and woodwind. Definitely recommend them for the gigging drummer who values decent sound quality as well as ease of setup. For example, when mic'ing up a snare, I will always try any place the null area (in this case the area behind the mic where the pick up pattern disappears) towards the hi-hat in order to avoid spill. These are so compact that it is pretty easy to do. I also like the sonic results I get from either an SM57 or an i5 but they are longer units so achieving good placement can be trickier.
    How would you compare the sound of those Sennheiser mics to the SM57's?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    How would you compare the sound of those Sennheiser mics to the SM57's?
    I think the general consesus for live situations is they are very similar sounding and the vast majority won't pick up any discernable difference. That said, the e604's were specifically designed for tom and snare applications hence their size and default mounting option with some reviews suggesting they reproduce deep tom tones better than the 57's. The SM57's are built like tanks and will probably take direct hits from drum sticks better. In the studio, I would happily use either although would mount the e604's off a stand so as to avoid picking up the usual noice associated with rim mounts. Live, the e604's are just that bit more practical with reduced need for compromise with regards positioning. It might be this issue that helps with drum micing the most enabling the best possible sound production but, for me, the e604's become my preference for live for the size and mounting options.

User Info Menu

When playing live, I use Sennheiser e904s on toms and SM57 on snare. The e904s are the metal version of the e604s.

I use the K&M 24030 microphone holders for both e904/SM57 and I leave the mics attached to the holders when I pack them in the case ...