Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So im getting into drumming.

User Info Menu

Default So im getting into drumming.

Well Im getting a drum set fairly soon. And my budget is $400-450 cdn.

At all my local shops begginer kits such as Trak or CB are 400 bucks.

So, in your opinion which is better of those 2? And do you think buying used would be a better option?

Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

Hey SureShot, I haven't met you before, so first, welcome to Drum Chat!!!

As to your questions, most drumsets at the entry level are mass produced in China. Manufacturers simply buy the sets, put their own name on it, and sell it as their entry level kit. For that reason, most entry level kits are about the same. Check out the way the ride toms mount, the quality of the hardware, and the quality of the cynbals, and you will see that they are pretty much interchangeable.

If I were you, I would check out the used market to see what's available. Right now people are looking for sets, so if I needed to sell this would be a good time. You might just find a good deal. If not, you can always get the beginner kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Shazane Guest

Just dont buy Burswood!!! worst excuse for a music company there is!!

User Info Menu

I have a kit called "basix" its a mix between magony and bass wood.. i got mine for about 450. im quite happy with it, and it seems to be well built, nothing is wrong with it yet, the pedals feel decent.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Also, look into Percussion Plus, they make nice beginner kits and also sound good too.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks a lot everyone for all the help. I found a guy selling a Westbury set with splash/crash/hi hat and ride

450 bucks.
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5...ture016pb3.jpg
    Do you think this would be better than the CB's?

User Info Menu

Not sure the hardware looks that great... If i was u i'd get a percussion plus kit,best selling begginers kit in the UK(or something like that lol) good sound,sturdy hardware and decent cymbals. An overall good starter kit.And maybe cheaper than $400,not sure though.

Edit: Although...i have just realised the cymbals on that westbury are sabians,hmmm i guess ud have to play both and get a feel first.

Fox
    Last edited by Fox; 12-17-2007 at 02:50 PM.
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

Cymbals:paiste 101 14" hats,16" crash and 20" ride.Paiste 2002 18" medium crash

DW7000 double pedal

Favourite drummer: Chris Adler http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHl4I5E78Wg

Favourite band: Lamb of God

Favourite song: Now youve got something to die for- Lamb of god.

User Info Menu

my tip: find a second hand pearl export.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
    Hey, thanks a lot everyone for all the help. I found a guy selling a Westbury set with splash/crash/hi hat and ride

450 bucks.
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5...ture016pb3.jpg
    Do you think this would be better than the CB's?
    You're lucky to find real cymbals that cheap, on any starter kit you'd usually get aluminum foil so it might be a good idea to go for the westbury, as long as the drums also sound good.

User Info Menu

Almost any set with some time, can be made to sound decent. cymbals on the other hand no matter what you do, you can not make a bad sounding cymbal sound good so don't buy cheap cymbals.

User Info Menu

I would definately go used buddy. Check out some local drum shops, and classified adds. Keep in mind that catalogs like musicians friend and sam ash sell decent low end kits, and ship for free.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Oh, I just found this set online
    Ludwig.. comes with zildjian symbols, free throne and free shipping. 479.00 and i have a $45 discount.

seems like a great deal to me
    Last edited by drummer; 01-21-2008 at 11:56 AM.

User Info Menu

this is such a helpful site! im in the same situation pretty much and i think this thread actually helped
    lifes too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

User Info Menu

The beauty of Drum Chat, DB!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

i have a cb, and with some finely tuned heads and some remo tuning rings, my set doesnt sound half bad

Shazane Guest

It's true, if the drums are better than particle board wrapped in plastic you can make them sound decent with enough modification, but cymbals have to be good, no way to customize a cymbal.

User Info Menu

I got me a used set off Craigslist when I got back into playing. Paid 200 bucks for pretty much a brand new set of PDP's. I looked them up and they are the EZ series which is entry level. Slapped some EC2 heads on them at 110 bucks. Picked up 3 used Sabian AAX crashes on Craigslist and Ebay for about 210 total. Getting a Zildjian ride for 100 bucks this weekend. Just an idea.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Nice kit...

Welcome to Drum Chat.

I like what I'm seein' in that Ludwig 5-piece. I think that a Ludwig and some Zildjians would be excellent as a starter kit. Just make sure your next purchse is a separate Ride and Crash.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3906&dateline=1196908  888
    "Did you hear that Robin? 'Were'. 'Were'! DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO ME LIKE THAT AGAIN! I'M BARRRY GIBB! I'LL PUT YOU IN THE GROUND! PUT-YOU-IN--THE-GROUND--YeaH!

User Info Menu

Hey Sureshot, this just posted by XJ99...looks like a great deal and in your price range. Would go for that before any beginners kit!

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...oney-3859.html
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warno View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat.

I like what I'm seein' in that Ludwig 5-piece. I think that a Ludwig and some Zildjians would be excellent as a starter kit. Just make sure your next purchse is a separate Ride and Crash.
    Found that same set at a local shop. So I got a black one, it sounds nice, and fun to play

User Info Menu

Cool SureShot! Have fun, and make sure you stop in here and share your journey with us! We all have a blast together!

User Info Menu

try to find a use one insted of a cheap new one

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

but ..1 more question. Ive seen alot of people with a hole cut in their bass drum, or like pillows inside. Should I do this for my set? And what exactly does it do?
    Last edited by SureShot; 12-28-2007 at 01:26 PM.

User Info Menu

SS, when you are ready to mic your kit, the hole (port) might come in handy. If you want less resonance (more of a thuddy sound), or less "bounciness" to the batter head, thses could be reasons to port the resonant head. If you're not recording your drums, or your not completely sure about the sound you want yet, I would suggest not porting the head until you get a feel for the kit first.