Thread: Double Stroke Roll technique question

User Info Menu

Smile Double Stroke Roll technique question

Hi again. Beginner here. Looking online for Double Stroke Roll instruction. Notice two approaches.
    Tiger Bill says:
    "Here's how to play doubles the clean way: Throw your right stick down toward the pad as in the single stroke roll except when the stick comes back up, use only your fingers to play the second tap. Do this alternating both hands and you have the clean, military style open roll.

The only difference between the clean and the dirty (jazz) version, is that you don't use your fingers to produce the clean second tap. Instead, you just let the stick sort of bounce on its own. This gives the open roll a loose, jazz sound as opposed to an exact military sound."

This guy here says just let stick bounce on its own after first strike:

What do you think is the best way for a beginner to practice DSRs. Do both styles or pick one?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Stroke Roll technique question

I would pick one as not to confuse the beginner. I'm a fan of controlled doubles myself. The second bounce technique will happen naturally when the speed picks up. There are numerous approaches to learning rudiments and hand technique.

User Info Menu

I think it’s easier to play the clean version. Ultimately, you’ll end up doing variations of both in your playing.

User Info Menu

I always use the first way and let me fingers snap the stick back for the rebound second hit.
    That way, the first hit and the second hit are more consistent in tone and volume.

Thomas Lang has a killer video talking about it exactly how I go about it.

User Info Menu

Eventually the use of the bounce control takes over wih speed. You need the control for slower triplets and rolls.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Actualy,id use my finger against it
    :drums

User Info Menu

The double stroke roll is the gateway to all other rolls. Emil Scholle's book The Roll has you doing each exercise using double, triple and multiple bounce rolls in turn. Control the two, then control the three, then control the multi.

To answer your question, the fingers should control the bounce in all cases. For a multi stroke roll each stick should have the same number of bounces. For example, my natural tendance for number of bounces is six, which I figured out using my phone camera on slo-mo. So I seek to make sure i'm doing six with each hand because my goal is glass smooth pianissimo rolls for symphonic work.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!