Thread: Question about starclassic maples.

User Info Menu

Default Question about starclassic maples.

Highly considering trading my Yamaha live customs for a used starclassic maple. The guy says it’s about 6-8 years old. The condition is excellent. Would you guys say this is a good trade? What’s the difference between the starclassics now and 6-8 years ago?

Thanks for your help guys!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about starclassic maples.

"What’s the difference between the starclassics now and 6-8 years ago?"

ANSWER: About 6-8 years.

Seriously, the difference, perceived or real, is that they are drums and that means that it comes down to how they are tuned.

If you want them, make the deal, but don't do it if you think they are going to sound 10X better than what you have now.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Oak vs maple? I'd think the oaks that you have would have a deeper sound(?) or fundamental no matter the heads with similar tuning/tension than the maples, especially if the maples are NOT N. American maple.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Having had both, I'd recommend keeping the Yammy's. Those Oaks are sought after very much now that they are no longer in production.

As for answering your 6-8 year difference in TAMA's...the hardware is going to be the biggest change let alone the finishes you have or don't have to choose from.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

how old are your Yamis?