Drum Domains

Thread: A different kind of practice pad set

User Info Menu

Default A different kind of practice pad set

I just read a very old thread about practice pad sets. I was going to respond to it but then I noticed how old it was so I figured I'd just start a new thread. Anyway...

Here's my solution for a practice pad set. I got a used lowest of the low level drum kit for 50 bucks. The brand name on it was Harmony. The bass and snare have 6 lugs and all 3 toms have 5 lugs. Bottom of the barrel but everything functions. I put silent stroke heads on it. A few cheap stands and you have a practice pad set that actually has some quiet tone to it, instead of every pad sounding the same like a normal practice pad set. Cymbals are another matter though. I got a Zildjian low volume set of cymbals. At about 300 or so dollars, it's the most expensive part. But you could just get some mutes for your normal cymbals a lot cheaper.

If you decide to do something like this, do not use a felt beater on your pedal, for some reason they tear up mesh heads fast.

I use this set a lot. I probably spend more time on it than any of my normal sets. Works for me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A different kind of practice pad set

Great idea. I see this is your first post. Welcome to our drum family here at Drum Chat. Take off your shoes and stay awhile.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I think I'll do that!

User Info Menu

on my practice set I used the mesh heads but for the BD I bought one of the practice pad stands for bass drums specifically . I also destroyed the mesh heads.
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor |5pc PDP Concept Maple Classic | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 58 Snare drums and growing!