Thread: A different kind of practice pad set

User Info Menu

Default A different kind of practice pad set

I just read a very old thread about practice pad sets. I was going to respond to it but then I noticed how old it was so I figured I'd just start a new thread. Anyway...

Here's my solution for a practice pad set. I got a used lowest of the low level drum kit for 50 bucks. The brand name on it was Harmony. The bass and snare have 6 lugs and all 3 toms have 5 lugs. Bottom of the barrel but everything functions. I put silent stroke heads on it. A few cheap stands and you have a practice pad set that actually has some quiet tone to it, instead of every pad sounding the same like a normal practice pad set. Cymbals are another matter though. I got a Zildjian low volume set of cymbals. At about 300 or so dollars, it's the most expensive part. But you could just get some mutes for your normal cymbals a lot cheaper.

If you decide to do something like this, do not use a felt beater on your pedal, for some reason they tear up mesh heads fast.

I use this set a lot. I probably spend more time on it than any of my normal sets. Works for me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A different kind of practice pad set

Great idea. I see this is your first post. Welcome to our drum family here at Drum Chat. Take off your shoes and stay awhile.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I think I'll do that!

User Info Menu

on my practice set I used the mesh heads but for the BD I bought one of the practice pad stands for bass drums specifically . I also destroyed the mesh heads.