Thread: Which compact Drumset?

User Info Menu

Default Which compact Drumset?

Hi all, I am looking to buy a compact drumset to use in smaller venues, where my Yamaha Recording Custom takes up too much space. We play indie guitar/pop/rock covers, so I need a set which does not sound too jazzy. It has to rock. I'm looking at the Gretsch Catalina with an 18" kick, or the similar-sized Sonor AQ2 Bop kit. Any views on which will suit me best? I've tried the Gretsch but it's proving hard to find a shop which carries Sonor stock so I have not played the Bop.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which compact Drumset?

I'm in love with my new PDP Classic Concept maple. And it comes in bop size.

But... you'll never beat the quality of the Sonor AQ2... I honestly put Sonor as one of THEE TOP drum companies.

User Info Menu

Not sure if you bought a kit yet but the AQ2 is the way to go.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    Not sure if you bought a kit yet but the AQ2 is the way to go.
    Funny that it got mentioned.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The Catalina Club is less expensive, has a 14x5 snare and a 14x14FT.
    The Sonor AQ2 has a 14x6 snare and a 14x13FT.
    Both have 14x18 bass drums and 12x8 toms.
    If choosing between the two, I’d think the Catalina club would be fine.

The PDP concept maple as mentioned would be great also but it’s only the shell pack. No snare included.

Of course there are other makes and models to consider.
    I have an older model Groove Percussion kit with an 18” bass drum that rocks, hundreds of dollars less expensive.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-03-2020 at 11:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a Ludwig Breakbeats kit - 14 inch snare, 10 and 13 inch toms, 16 inch kick - that I use for such occasions. It is great for smaller gig locations, rehearsals, etc.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I’m seriously considering a new PDP Concept Maple Bop kit (18,12,14). Should be a good replacement/upgrade for my SPL bop kit. The one I want is out of stock, but supposed to be available in 2 weeks.
    I like the shallow 14” deep BD and the 12”/14” toms as opposed to my SPL kit with its 10”/13” toms. Having once owned a Concept Maple kit, I know the quality and sound is top-notch. It’s just hard to drop $600 on something I may not be able to use until who knows when. If we were still able to play gigs, it would be a no-brainer, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I bought a Sonor Martini 8"/13"/14"/5x12" 4pc Champagne Sparkle kit in December (Xmas present from my wife picked out by me) and just sold it. The snare sounded great, rack tom rather dead, floor tom very good, but 14" kick was awful. I tried everything and recently gave up and sold it due to the weak kick. The kit looked really cool, though ...
    Last edited by fpmr96a; 05-12-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    Sam
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute|Tama Starclassic Birch|Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga (2 kits)|Yamaha Power V|1962 Slingerland |Snares: Sonor S-Class Pro, Yamaha Recording Custom brass, Starphonic aluminum, SLP G-Maple, Tama Fat Spruce, SLP Bubinga, Black Magic

User Info Menu

If you’re still wanting to stay with a small kick, you might try a kit with a 16” kick. Like the Safari or Breakbeats. I have a home-made Kit with a converted 16”FT for a kick. Not much “rumble”, but definitely has an abundance of “punch”
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I might be a little in favor of Sakae, because I own one, a Sakae Pac-D compact kit. 16x16 bd, 10x7 tom, 13x11 bd and 12x5 sd. The drums are absolutely incredible. They are rock solid, and the cradle for the bass drum is full adjustable in height, width, etc. The drums once tuned right, do not sound like a compact kit at all. I liked them enough to make them my primary kit for on the road. I did replace the snare with a Trick 12" aluminum as I did not like the snare. Unfortunately they are not in production anymore. If you want any addtional info, just let me know. BTW, there is one available on reverb right now.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Which compact Drumset?

Quote Originally Posted by pearldrummer View Post
    i might be a little in favor of sakae, because i own one, a sakae pac-d compact kit. 16x16 bd, 10x7 tom, 13x11 bd and 12x5 sd. The drums are absolutely incredible. They are rock solid, and the cradle for the bass drum is full adjustable in height, width, etc. The drums once tuned right, do not sound like a compact kit at all. I liked them enough to make them my primary kit for on the road. I did replace the snare with a trick 12" aluminum as i did not like the snare. Unfortunately they are not in production anymore. If you want any addtional info, just let me know. Btw, there is one available on reverb right now.

i bought a sonor martini kit (14"x 12 " bassdrum ,8"x8" mounted tom ,13"x10" floor tom & 12"x5" snare..in 2017 (9 ply poplar ) in champagene sparkle,,,however in 2018...sonor changed wood to maple so can no longer get "add on drums " in poplar ...dang it...i added a 12"x 6" 1982 gretsch poplar snare & recently a 14"x5" rogers 1965 luxor 3 ply (maple/birch?maple snare (both in champagne sparkle ) however tis a studio kit (resides with musical pardner of last 4 years "cowboy wrecks " )...i dont haul it for gigs as a "utility phrogge " ...tho...for that puprpose ,,,i may use anything from hardshell "protector tom case", variety of suitcases ,or even a meinl bassbox (bassdrum) 13"x3" mapex picollo steel snare ,16" rototom ...& even remo fyberskyn tamborine as snare ,,,including a variety of pizzabox snare drums ....all cymbals are now paiste & ive gotten to collect 14 different snare drums ...so pre covid ( last public gig was end of march 2020)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pearldrummer View Post
    i might be a little in favor of sakae, because i own one, a sakae pac-d compact kit. 16x16 bd, 10x7 tom, 13x11 bd and 12x5 sd. The drums are absolutely incredible. They are rock solid, and the cradle for the bass drum is full adjustable in height, width, etc. The drums once tuned right, do not sound like a compact kit at all. I liked them enough to make them my primary kit for on the road. I did replace the snare with a trick 12" aluminum as i did not like the snare. Unfortunately they are not in production anymore. If you want any addtional info, just let me know. Btw, there is one available on reverb right now.

i bought a sonor martini kit (14"x 12 " bassdrum ,8"x8" mounted tom ,13"x10" floor tom & 12"x5" snare..in 2017 (9 ply poplar ) in champagene sparkle,,,however in 2018...sonor changed wood to maple so can no longer get "add on drums " in poplar ...dang it...i added a 12"x 6" 1982 gretsch poplar snare & recently a 14"x5" rogers 1965 luxor 3 ply (maple/birch?maple snare (both in champagne sparkle ) however tis a studio kit (resides with musical pardner of last 4 years "cowboy wrecks " )...i dont haul it for gigs as a "utility phrogge " ...tho...for that puprpose ,,,i may use anything from hardshell "protector tom case", variety of suitcases ,or even a meinl bassbox (bassdrum) 13"x3" mapex picollo steel snare ,16" rototom ...& even remo fyberskyn tamborine as snare ,,,including a variety of pizzabox snare drums ....all cymbals are now paiste & ive gotten to collect 14 different snare drums ...so pre covid ( last public gig was end of march 2020)...

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer View Post
    I might be a little in favor of Sakae, because I own one, a Sakae Pac-D compact kit. 16x16 bd, 10x7 tom, 13x11 bd and 12x5 sd. The drums are absolutely incredible. They are rock solid, and the cradle for the bass drum is full adjustable in height, width, etc. The drums once tuned right, do not sound like a compact kit at all. I liked them enough to make them my primary kit for on the road. I did replace the snare with a Trick 12" aluminum as I did not like the snare. Unfortunately they are not in production anymore. If you want any addtional info, just let me know. BTW, there is one available on reverb right now.

I BOUGHT A SONOR MARTINI KIT (14"X 12 " BASSDRUM ,8"X8" MOUNTED TOM ,13"X10" FLOOR TOM & 12"X5" SNARE..IN 2017 (9 PLY POPLAR ) IN CHAMPAGENE SPARKLE,,,HOWEVER IN 2018...SONOR CHANGED WOOD TO MAPLE SO CAN NO LONGER GET "ADD ON DRUMS " IN POPLAR ...DANG IT...I ADDED A 12"X 6" 1982 GRETSCH POPLAR SNARE & RECENTLY A 14"X5" ROGERS 1965 LUXOR 3 PLY (MAPLE/BIRCH?MAPLE SNARE (BOTH IN CHAMPAGNE SPARKLE ) HOWEVER TIS A STUDIO KIT (RESIDES WITH MUSICAL PARDNER OF LAST 4 YEARS "COWBOY WRECKS " )...I DONT HAUL IT FOR GIGS AS A "UTILITY PHROGGE " ...THO...FOR THAT PUPRPOSE ,,,I MAY USE ANYTHING FROM HARDSHELL "PROTECTOR TOM CASE", VARIETY OF SUITCASES ,OR EVEN A MEINL BASSBOX (BASSDRUM) 13"X3" MAPEX PICOLLO STEEL SNARE ,16" ROTOTOM ...& EVEN REMO FYBERSKYN TAMBORINE AS SNARE ,,,INCLUDING A VARIETY OF PIZZABOX SNARE DRUMS ....ALL CYMBALS ARE NOW PAISTE & IVE GOTTEN TO COLLECT 14 DIFFERENT SNARE DRUMS ...SO PRE COVID ( LAST PUBLIC GIG WAS END OF MARCH 2020)...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA