Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and Musicians

User Info Menu

Default Re: Coronavirus and Musicians

There was a show with some local bands that i like a couple weekends ago. At first I was going to go but ended up not going. A bar with a lot of people (some drunk) smoking hacking coughs all over seems like a bad place to be right now.

Musically the band i play in that i think is still together hasn't done anything since last December. I have been talking to some people about getting a side/new project going but that's on hold now.

Still been coming to work but have looked at doing voluntary LOA'S as are a lot of us to help save our company or at least limit the damage this pandemic is causing.

Good luck everybody.
    Last edited by slinky; 03-23-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    On the band side, I canceled practices until further notice. Since I will be out on public (albeit limited exposure), I didn’t think it would be prudent to chance exposing anyone else.
    I did the same thing. No one in my home for the time being. My wife got mad when I wouldn't let her in. She did managed to stay at our daughters' house for now.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I did the same thing. No one in my home for the time being. My wife got mad when I wouldn't let her in. She did managed to stay at our daughters' house for now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    When you do let your wife back in, you would be wise to keep Loreena Bobbitt in mind and sleep on your stomach.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

You'd think with practically everyone stuck at home there would be an uptick in activity on DC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    You'd think with practically everyone stuck at home there would be an uptick in activity on DC.
    Interesting observation!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I live in Melbourne, Australia, and the situation is still ok, even it's 2 weeks that I'm working from home. Luckily I've got time to practice with my drum set

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Yeah, when we get to the other side of this, bars and restaurants will be hurting. The first thing to be cut will be bands. They'll hire DJ's instead. Maybe it's time for musicians to start investing in DJ equipment.

Speaking of which, what is your fall back plan? Side hustles? Plan B's? Anyone thought this through yet? Preparedness is essential right now, not just for food and toilet paper but financial planning/strategizing for the months ahead.
    This is a good question. Problem is, we don’t really know how long this will go on. We WILL get through this. I’m not worried about my job or the company I work for. My wife lost her job, but we have enough savings to hold us over for a year or more. What DOES worry me is the rather large amount of retirement savings (IRA, 401K) that’s gone. The stock market will bounce back, and I’m still young enough to weather the storm, but I feel for those already retired or on the verge.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Maybe it's time for me to open my own drum shop until I run out of gear and then close down permanently

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Maybe it's time for me to open my own drum shop until I run out of gear and then close down permanently
    No one's ever done that.....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I would have thought so too, especially with over 400 people a day coming through here. A sign of the times.

User Info Menu

And I'm still working. Multi-tasker-doo.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm also still working... unless Home Depot closes my company will not.

User Info Menu

So far, things are not too bad here in NE. No shelter in place orders yet. Most people are doing a good job at social distancing and staying home. Only exception are big stores like Walmart, Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc.. Those places are a problem, so as of this morning, the governor is mandating the regulation of customers in the stores at any one time. Only so many allowed per 1000ft^2. One-out-one-in kind of thing.
    As far as industrial activity and spending goes, things are still moving reasonably well. It’s slowed down in the last month, but it’s not much worse than the usual slow periods that happen every couple years. That said, there’s always a 3-4 month lag on the economy. If this drags on for another month or more, things will get pretty hairy...and it probably will.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Working from home and have been given 2 weeks of furlough before the end of April. Not too bad compared to some. My brother was furloughed for the entire month of April. Just hoping that we all come through this ok and everything recovers as soon as possible. Stay safe my friends.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Hope everyone is safe. I still don't know anyone personally impacted by this except for loss of job.

User Info Menu

As you know I'm in Iowa which hasn't gone on full lock down but it might as well. There are very few people out and about now.

As for me life hasn't changed much. I'm still a one man IT team for my financial institute. My staff are still working and catching up on paper work. We are all keeping in our own offices and maintaining a minimum of 6' distances. Our lobby's are closed to the public but we will take appointments for loans and other such business. Then we let that member in for the duration of their needs and then out the door! Drive-ups are busy as heck.

Driving to and from work now takes half the time it used to. I'm going to hate it when the rest of the idjuts are back on the road. This is nice. Before this isolation I spent most time at home in the evenings anyway. This isolation hasn't change much for me. I don't normally go out in public much so I'm not missing that aspect at all.

However, what I have noticed is there is a lot of road construction starting up. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

hahaha yeah I don't drive far for work but it went from 15 minutes to just under 10 because so little traffic. It's crazy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    hahaha yeah I don't drive far for work but it went from 15 minutes to just under 10 because so little traffic. It's crazy.
    Now if we could just figure out where all the Walkers are we could really have some fun.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It’s nice out today. I’ve seen a lot of people together, not 6’ apart. Whole families together. Kids playing together, I don’t think that’s very responsible of parents. A mother pushing around her 2 kids sitting in a shopping cart..etc. I mean, I think people need to take it more seriously as explained on the news every day.
    Am I wrong thinking this way?
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-07-2020 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    It’s nice out today. I’ve seen a lot of people together, not 6’ apart. Whole families together. Kids playing together, I don’t think that’s very responsible of parents. A mother pushing around her 2 kids sitting in a shopping cart..etc. I mean, I think people need to take it more seriously as explained on the news every day.
    No! You are not wrong! I see this kind of behavior in my area too, and I just don't understand it. All we were asked to do is stay home and away from one another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    No! You are not wrong! I see this kind of behavior in my area too, and I just don't understand it. All we were asked to do is stay home and away from one another.
    Thanks thunderstruck. Not much one can do. I understand siblings being together in a home etc. but not hanging with other kids on the block. It’s gotta be tough for children to understand and I get that but parents are not being responsible. Ok, I let off that steam. A relative of mine was diagnosed with the virus, spent two days in the hospital, home now and recovering well. Thanks to God.

User Info Menu

Actually if the people (families) you mentioned all live in the same house it's fine for them to be together. However it is not fine for people to take their kids shopping with them. Only one person per household should be doing the shopping. My wife and I live together so we take walks together and we don't have to walk 6 feet apart from each other , just other people , but personally I haven't been near another person other than my wife since March 20th.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Actually if the people (families) you mentioned all live in the same house it's fine for them to be together. However it is not fine for people to take their kids shopping with them. Only one person per household should be doing the shopping. My wife and I live together so we take walks together and we don't have to walk 6 feet apart from each other , just other people , but personally I haven't been near another person other than my wife since March 20th.
    Yes you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve worded it funny without proper explanation.
    Whole families, including visiting relatives, along with the next door neighbors family outside mingling with them.
    I agree that one person should risk the shopping but in some cases a mother or father may be single having to bring their children along if no one can watch them.

This virus still has not peaked in Illinois but even when it does, will it start to be safe to have everyone back to work? Stressful times.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-22-2020 at 05:23 AM.

User Info Menu

This virus still has not peaked in Illinois but even when it does, will it start to be safe to have everyone back to work? Stressful times.
    Sadly, even when we reach a peak, or plateau, it will be still a long time before many get back to work. The phasing in of re-entry is such that there will be so many restrictions early on (through Phases 1-3) that it just won't make sense for many to return to normal. IMHO, it will be late fall or early 2021 before many of the things that a lot of us like to do will be reality. Depressing, I know.