Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and Musicians

User Info Menu

Default Coronavirus and Musicians

It's starting to look like this Coronavirus is a serious threat, much more than originally thought. This doctor's account is frightening: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...e-war-11954229 He's in the war zone (so to speak) over in Italy.

How is this affecting your gigs? Have you seen cancellations due to concerns with crowds in close quarters?

(Please avoid politics when replying. Thanks!)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Coronavirus and Musicians

The drum company I bought my drum from is located right next to Italy.. they said the borders are completely shut down and Italy is closed up tight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    The drum company I bought my drum from is located right next to Italy.. they said the borders are completely shut down and Italy is closed up tight
    You should probably run that snare drum through the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle, once you get it home.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

All my gigs lately are at church so I haven't been affected yet.

But, I also work for a grocery, drug, gm retailer based in Texas. The stock piling is insane. I personally still don't buy into the hype and think the media is scaring the crap out of people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Damn!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    All my gigs lately are at church so I haven't been affected yet.

But, I also work for a grocery, drug, gm retailer based in Texas. The stock piling is insane. I personally still don't buy into the hype and think the media is scaring the crap out of people.
    INSANE? How about NO TOILET PAPER at the Costco? Of all the things I thought I'd never see, this tops it. I understand taking precautions, but this has been CRAZY! I can see getting a couple of weeks worth of stuff, but these people seem to be stocking up for doomsday.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

I still don't understand the toilet paper thing. Also in the coming days everything will be canceled and everything will be closed. Be prepared. This is no joke.

User Info Menu

Sometimes we humans like to think we are the top of the food chain but there are times when we seem to do our best to prove otherwise.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The TP hoarding is just plain stupid. I drove all over town looking for some yesterday, but all stores were out. Now Kleenex and laundry detergent is in shortage. Luckily, the company I work for sells commercial toilet paper by the case. 100 rolls per case, and I brought in 2 cases from our warehouse so my employees and myself are covered.

As far as gigs, I’ve seen multiple bands and local venues cancel gigs in the last week. Even gigs booked out until June. This is a PRIME opportunity to get bookings in new places and venues that you normally couldn’t get into.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

This past Saturday's gig was cancelled. This Tuesday's St. Patrick's Day gig is still on as of this morning, but, I'm waiting for that to get deep six'd as well. [removed. please avoid political commentary per forum rules - Tom] SMDH.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    This past Saturday's gig was cancelled. This Tuesday's St. Patrick's Day gig is still on as of this morning, but, I'm waiting for that to get deep six'd as well. [removed. please avoid political commentary per forum rules - Tom] SMDH.
    We need to lower our expectations. Realize we've been heading down this road for years and we've buried our heads in the sand for many reasons. Not the time and place but I know you know what I mean, Marc.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hang in there folks, this is going to get worse before it gets better. The COVID19 virus is nothing compared to the virus of human panic & social media.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I don't know how full time musicians are going to survive this. All my friend's gigs are being cancelled. How are they going to eat? Pay bills?

User Info Menu

I don’t think there’s an answer. It’s not just the bars, clubs and restaurants closing their doors...any social event that may hire music (weddings, private parties, etc) is being called off. Hopefully, our fellow musicians that rely on paid gigs for a livelihood can find another avenue to hold them over. Pretty much anyone in the entertainment industry is hosed. Sound men, roadies...even exotic dancers and the guys that rent & install outdoor tents. Then you have the related industries like people who work jobs that rely on the music/entertainment industry; mom & pop music stores, instrument manufacturers, etc..
    Imagine being a small boutique instrument builder. They’re getting it from both ends; they can’t get parts from China, and now they’re losing their market.

Providing this current pandemic resolves itself by...lets say June; how many bars, clubs and venues that hire live bands will survive? Will there be anyplace left for us to play? If so, will enough people show up, or will social functions be permanently affected?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

There will be long term collateral damage for sure. As one that books for our band, I know many of the venue owners very well and I know for a fact that many cannot survive even a 60 day shut down. Offering "carry out" only is not sustainable. Damned shame.

User Info Menu

Yeah, when we get to the other side of this, bars and restaurants will be hurting. The first thing to be cut will be bands. They'll hire DJ's instead. Maybe it's time for musicians to start investing in DJ equipment.

Speaking of which, what is your fall back plan? Side hustles? Plan B's? Anyone thought this through yet? Preparedness is essential right now, not just for food and toilet paper but financial planning/strategizing for the months ahead.

User Info Menu

Main concern is health and an ending to this virus.
    After, big party and music.

User Info Menu

I have just found out that the theatre where I volunteer (see my sig) has cancelled all of its shows until mid-May.

The group I practice with has decided to skip practices until there is an "all clear". All of us except the bass player untilare over 60, so this is probably a good idea.

My church's services will be streamed until further notice.

Good health to you all.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    We need to lower our expectations. Realize we've been heading down this road for years and we've buried our heads in the sand for many reasons. Not the time and place but I know you know what I mean, Marc.
    I know what you mean, started 11 years ago for sure.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

2 week lockdown starting tomorrow in my state of Illinois.
    Wishing all on DC to stay safe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    2 week lockdown starting tomorrow in my state of Illinois.
    Wishing all on DC to stay safe.
    Yep, my wife's salon and day spa is forced to close at 5 PM today. It is located in Illinois even though we live in Iowa.

My CU is still open but we've closed the lobby to walk ins. Mostly by appointment for the foreseeable future.

Glad I'm still working.

I've shut down band rehearsal since it is at my home. The bass player lives in Illinois, even!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

All gigs & tours cancelled for the foreseeable future. Have lost my entire income :(
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    All gigs & tours cancelled for the foreseeable future. Have lost my entire income :(
    The world sharing its pain. Sorry for your current predicament, Kev. Sort of makes the drums not seem so important, sadly enough.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    The world sharing its pain. Sorry for your current predicament, Kev. Sort of makes the drums not seem so important, sadly enough.
    Indeed mate. The "Good old days" may well & truly now be over. I suspect touring will be very different over the next few years for underground bands........
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I’m lucky enough to work for a company that’s been deemed “essential” by Homeland Security. In the event that my state/county/city declares a shelter in place, I have a letter that I can carry. That said, we are still doing as much as we can voluntarily to eliminate exposure. We are on lock-down, with only myself and 2 of my employees allowed in the building. Everyone else is working from home. We have a very strict cleaning protocol that we MUST adhere to in order to stay open.
    That said, business in industrial manufacturing has ground to a halt in the last 4-5 days. I have no doubt that if this continues another 4-6 weeks, I’ll be forced to lay off some employees and probably take a salary cut.

On the band side, I canceled practices until further notice. Since I will be out on public (albeit limited exposure), I didn’t think it would be prudent to chance exposing anyone else.
    -Brian