Thread: Zildjian Z customs?

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian Z customs?

Yeah I dont think im getting a new snare soon so I might get cymbals instead. I was browsing through the shop catalog for some cymbals, and I got my eyes on the Z customs because i heard they are loud. Anyone got any experience with these?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

They are loud, dude, very. That's why alot of metal performers prefer them, kinda like the Paiste Rude's in my experience. If you want to hear them, I think you can check out some of Roy Maygora's work with Stone Sour or whatever that other band was that he played with, it was cookie monster metal.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

They are loud and tend to be clangy to me. but in a metal setting they probably work great. They look as though they are durable though. they are thick cymbals and are made to be hit with 2B sticks and not crack!!!

User Info Menu

Their quality equals that of the A series right? Just a different application?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Zildjian Z cymbals have been around for a long time and yes, they're known for being extremely durable. A popular choice for drummers that hit their cymbals very hard.

User Info Menu

strangly enuff the only cymbals i have ever broke were rudes and z customs. cymbals marketed for heavy hitters. i feel that the thickness tends to make them more brittle.

User Info Menu

that is odd, mabye the weight of them causes them to get trashed around more volitionally then the lighter cymbals.

User Info Menu

Doesn't Travis Barker use Z Customs?

User Info Menu

nah hes an A cust man

User Info Menu

Ahhh, I had thought so in his Soulja Boy video, but I didn't think A Customs could handle that kinda beating. Guess it doesn't really matter how hard he wants to hit them since he gets them for free lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Zildjian Z cymbals have been around for a long time and yes, they're known for being extremely durable. A popular choice for drummers that hit their cymbals very hard.

THEY ARE NOT DURABLE if you use them to their fullest.

They will crack faster than bolsa wood if you smack them hard enough to get the sound out of them that they were made to make. They are brittle and you will not get a very good sound out of them if you play them like K's or A's.

32nd, A customs IMO can take the hardest beating out of all Zildjian top ranges, they are thing but are willing to bend easily and will resist cracks because the shape will warp to the beating and not stay the same shape like Z Customs...unless you use them like Travis Barker.
    Last edited by Roger; 12-18-2007 at 02:50 AM.

User Info Menu

The Z customs where made to cut through all the other instruments. That's their characteristic. That's why they have the forced hammer paths that they have, it makes the vibrations over the cymbal to travel faster. If you looked at the K custom line, they tend to attack at a slower pace because the hammer marks that are made scatter the vibrations.