Thread: How is everyone holding up? What are you working on during this downtime?

User Info Menu

Default How is everyone holding up? What are you working on during this downtime?

How is everyone getting through this “social distancing” conundrum that we are all facing? What are you doing to keep your chops up as we go through this?

Me?

I’m on the practice pad working rudiments, and was able to get together with a small group from our church to provide music for an outdoors service (using social distancing) this past Sunday.

I hope everyone is doing well and that this will soon pass so we can all get out there and start playing again.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: How is everyone holding up? What are you working on during this downtime?

Thanks DrumWhipper! Staying safe here. I’ve been playing around putting together this suitcase kit and decided today might be good since we’re all staying home. I’m still tweaking it but it’s almost there.

32FB306B-C544-4BF1-B534-592CF9C6285B.jpg

Why does my iphone send this itty bitty pic?

E1A996EC-3CF0-4555-9C08-7837B1B7E218.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-07-2020 at 01:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How is everyone holding up? What are you working on during this downtime?

Not much has changed for me. Being a Leper has its ups and downs.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm still slowly but surely working on the basement... some day I'll be able to setup a drumset again hahahaha it'll definitely be after the virus passes

User Info Menu

Normally they’d have the drum show around this time but with covid-19, not gonna happen. They used to have it at Kane co. fairgrounds then it was moved to the Villa Park Odeum. Now it’s moved to Kane co. fairgrounds again but in 2021.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-07-2020 at 11:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Going to start remodeling our basement and my drum room. Have everything right now except the paint for the walls. I just don't think it is worth going out right now to get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm still slowly but surely working on the basement... some day I'll be able to setup a drumset again hahahaha it'll definitely be after the virus passes

Noah built the Ark, rounded up all the animals (starting with A), got down to the Z's, took you and ZZ Top, rode out the flood, discovered water skiing, found dry land and built a house and a zoo and opened a deli.

You, on the other hand, started a drum room in a house that, as far as I know, is in no danger of floating away, BUT, you can't go work on it until the virus passes.

Obviously, I'm missing something.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Not much has changed for me. Being a Leper has its ups and downs.

So does being an old guy but I carry on.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Noah built the Ark, rounded up all the animals (starting with A), got down to the Z's, took you and ZZ Top, rode out the flood, discovered water skiing, found dry land and built a house and a zoo and opened a deli.

You, on the other hand, started a drum room in a house that, as far as I know, is in no danger of floating away, BUT, you can't go work on it until the virus passes.

Obviously, I'm missing something.
    Wow Zack, aka Spaz, according to Rick, you and ZZ Top, along with a pair of every animal and Noah’s family, were chosen to be on the Ark!

User Info Menu

I put a new Calf tone Evans reso on my Yammie bass drum some weeks back and l think l like it. I wanted a more vintage look! lol.DSC02282.jpgDSC02283.jpgDSC02278.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I put a new Calf tone Evans reso on my Yammie bass drum some weeks back and l think l like it. I wanted a more vintage look! lol.DSC02282.jpgDSC02283.jpgDSC02278.jpg
    I like the head just not sure I'm keen on the port. Kinda puts the new back in the vintage.

Did you try the sound before porting or did it come that way?

I could see a vintage microphone accenting that head, if it wasn't ported.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Actually have not hit the skins in almost 5 weeks now. Went ona cruise March 6th, got home March 16th. Quit my band on March 23rd and have not had the urge to go down and play at all but I am starting to feel it as I type this : ) I am doing great otherwise, looking forward to other activities that have taken a back seat the last few summers due to gigs. Looking forward to a gig free summer in all honesty.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah, Bish l ported it for micing. l didn't want to put another Kick Port in and the bass drum, sounds great as it always does!lol. l dtdn/t like the head logo that was on there up on the top plus there was no way of getting it off so i cut it out by putting a bass port. l was able now to put the transfer decal on without the stupid bass drum head logo hanging over the Yamaha logo. This is how I mount my bass drum mic.DSC02125.jpg
    Last edited by drummerMD; 04-09-2020 at 04:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Actually have not hit the skins in almost 5 weeks now. Went ona cruise March 6th, got home March 16th. Quit my band on March 23rd and have not had the urge to go down and play at all but I am starting to feel it as I type this : ) I am doing great otherwise, looking forward to other activities that have taken a back seat the last few summers due to gigs. Looking forward to a gig free summer in all honesty.
    Yep, sometimes the breaks are good to have but it's also gooder to know you can get back in it when you want. I'm sure you have no difficulties in that arena!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Yeah, Bish l ported it for micing. l didn't want to put another Kick Port in and the bass drum, sounds great as it always does!lol. l dtdn/t like the head logo that was on there up on the top plus there was no way of getting it off so i cut it out by putting a bass port. l was able now to put the transfer decal on without the stupid bass drum head logo hanging over the Yamaha logo.
    Ah, I see what you did. Makes sense!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Got enough piping there do you MD?

Middle pic. I thought it was an offshore drilling platform.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yep, sometimes the breaks are good to have but it's also gooder to know you can get back in it when you want. I'm sure you have no difficulties in that arena!
    This is the longest I have ever gone but not beating myself up over it.. It is what it is, I just ordered the new breed book and bought a $5 lean to play songs faster from drumeo which is donated to W. H.O. so actually looking forward to that this weekend. What a time to stop playing, stuck at home nothing to do and no desire....LOL It's like I am stuck in an Alanis Morisette song. Glad to see everyone here is doing well.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

we took all of April off here but the governor of GA put out a shelter in place order the other day anyway. I'm suppose to go back to work May 1st.

as far as drums go set up my e-kit Alesis DM10 and have been playing around with that. Still can't get use to it too much however much I try. Downloaded Audacity and got an interface to record some stuff on my computer. Going to send tracks to my brother and see what he does with them. Hopefully that is if i can figure out the software.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    we took all of April off here but the governor of GA put out a shelter in place order the other day anyway. I'm suppose to go back to work May 1st.

as far as drums go set up my e-kit Alesis DM10 and have been playing around with that. Still can't get use to it too much however much I try. Downloaded Audacity and got an interface to record some stuff on my computer. Going to send tracks to my brother and see what he does with them. Hopefully that is if i can figure out the software.
    This is really a good time to learn that kind of stuff. Lord knows I need to. Would love to learn how to record myself playing to a song, and edit it because I always have latency issues.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    This is really a good time to learn that kind of stuff. Lord knows I need to. Would love to learn how to record myself playing to a song, and edit it because I always have latency issues.
    i hope I can figure it out.. i'm not too computer savvy lol .. that would be fun to play along with a song, I'd like to try that too. Did i mention how much i hate click tracks .. i'm terrible at playing with them while throwing in fills
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post

I've used Audacity for years. You can reduce latency by only recording in mono. Also, if you haven't yet, find the LAME download and add that to Audacity. It is what used to be the catalyst to allow your recordings to be saved as an MP3. There may be something newer since my time with Audacity was about 15 years ago when I was recording guitar parts.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

"Did i mention how much i hate click tracks .. i'm terrible at playing with them while throwing in fills"

Don't use it. A lot of very good drummers never used 1.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I haven’t touched my drums since late February. We just hired a new frontman for our band, got one practice in and the virus hit. Since I have to work in public and most of the guys in the band are over 60, I decided to cancel practices until it’s all over.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hi .. still waiting for the interface to get here. Yesterday I created a set with the sounds i like. Man it is a tedious process. I sat there for about 3 hrs doing the whole thing.. and still doesn't sound right.. gotta dial in the levels now.. the cymbals are too loud.

My brother told me he knows audacity inside n out he's always using it so i guess we will be talking a lot on the phone.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN