Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Post Covid19 ?

User Info Menu

Default OT: Post Covid19 ?

Hello DC Friends............

Welcome to the fastest economic shock ever recorded; I've been tracking econ-data for 40 years and I've never seen numbers like this........the 1st qtr. GDP growth is now downgraded to -3.9% (and this includes good numbers for January & February) while the 2nd qtr. estimate is now -26.8%. And of course, with the norm of social distancing, the hospitality sector is hardest hit.........including but not limited to transportation, sporting events, hotels, restaurants, and sadly, BARS & CLUBS. The recession begins now, and hopefully there is recovery at the end of the calendar year.

As we all know, some of these businesses live on the "cash-flow-edge" and will have no chance of survival during this pandemic.
    My focus here is on something we all share, which is LIVE MUSIC VENUES.

Sadly, live music gig opportunities have been on the decline for many years. In my community, the biggest, best, and oldest (44 years) club in town decided to shut down about one year ago, which left a noticeable void in our gig-calendar. In our search to continue with bookings, we cannot (and will not) find the type of place to which we were accustomed...........it was our HQ for six years.
    There are a few other venues locally which are gig options but I'm afraid their future is questionable.
    My concern for us club-gigging musicians is that the pandemic will be another hit to the market where there may be little or no recovery.
    Bands that live on the private contract circuit (corporate parties, weddings, etc.) may be the only path.........I've lived on that before too.

I wish everyone a joyous Easter weekend and I hope the outlook for your band is better than what we are facing.........discuss.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: OT: Post Covid19 ?

With everyone stuck at home, I foresee a possible baby boom. Not what we need right now.

User Info Menu

This entire pandemic is more than arguably nature correcting the population.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hello DC Friends............

Welcome to the fastest economic shock ever recorded; I've been tracking econ-data for 40 years and I've never seen numbers like this........the 1st qtr. GDP growth is now downgraded to -3.9% (and this includes good numbers for January & February) while the 2nd qtr. estimate is now -26.8%. And of course, with the norm of social distancing, the hospitality sector is hardest hit.........including but not limited to transportation, sporting events, hotels, restaurants, and sadly, BARS & CLUBS. The recession begins now, and hopefully there is recovery at the end of the calendar year.

As we all know, some of these businesses live on the "cash-flow-edge" and will have no chance of survival during this pandemic.
    My focus here is on something we all share, which is LIVE MUSIC VENUES.

Sadly, live music gig opportunities have been on the decline for many years. In my community, the biggest, best, and oldest (44 years) club in town decided to shut down about one year ago, which left a noticeable void in our gig-calendar. In our search to continue with bookings, we cannot (and will not) find the type of place to which we were accustomed...........it was our HQ for six years.
    There are a few other venues locally which are gig options but I'm afraid their future is questionable.
    My concern for us club-gigging musicians is that the pandemic will be another hit to the market where there may be little or no recovery.
    Bands that live on the private contract circuit (corporate parties, weddings, etc.) may be the only path.........I've lived on that before too.

I wish everyone a joyous Easter weekend and I hope the outlook for your band is better than what we are facing.........discuss.

Rick, I agree with everything you say but I choose to stay on the optimistic side of the fence. We bounce back, we always do.

On the music side, clubs have been closing for decades. 1/2 the clubs we played from 1970 to 2005 are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    This entire pandemic is more than arguably nature correcting the population.
    Mother Nature is doing that as a double blind test.

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    With everyone stuck at home, I foresee a possible baby boom. Not what we need right now.
    If you can't go outside to play some baseball, what else is there to do.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

We are in a fickle time period, for sure. In my area the only bar gigs are jams, and a few lucky bands from the jam get to perform at the local yearly festival. There are some street parties as well, but they don't pay, either. There are two bars I know of who may never open again after this. I think I know of the location that Ricardo is speaking of because that description matches a location in Little Rock that closed down last year.

My boss plays the stock market quite often, so I will yield to what he has stated about the situation. He stated he fully understands we have to keep people safe, but we also can't afford to allow our economy to crash. At some point we are going to have to work to restart the economy, or we are going to lose it.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Look at vegas.. a total ghost town .. crazy... the cure is becoming worse than the disease
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Look at vegas.. a total ghost town .. crazy... the cure is becoming worse than the disease
    I think a lot of people are starting to adopt that mind set. Some are even acting on it. Can't say I blame them.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah this is a weird time for sure. I was walking in the supermarket Sunday and an announcement came over the PA system to maintain 6' of distance and not to browse too long. I felt like I was trapped in a bad "B" movie with Rowdy Roddy Piper. (dating myself on that one : ). I do not know about your specific neck of the woods but here in NH people are getting antsy and seeing more and more cars and people out as the weather warms. If this lasts much longer than 1st week of May I see alot of people breaking the "rules" and mingling. I just quit my Band a few weeks back and looking forward to not gigging for a while if ever again but not going to quit drumming. The scene around here will be the same if not better as a lot of people cannot wait to get out and see friends and listen to some music and dance. We have a very good scene here kept alive by Mostly American Legions but there are quite a few bars hiring as well. At least there were.
    Last edited by MDK; 04-16-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

yeah if this virus doesn't kill you... it could bankrupt you instead.
    it's a sad sad scenario that is 100% true

User Info Menu

I’m guessing things around here will be sketchy at best for bands in the next year. We were lucky to pull $350 out of a club/bar gig before. When this is over, I suspect it will be worse. Regardless, it’s in our blood. We’ll continue to play, even if it’s just a “get together and jam” once a month.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm a self employed painting contractor. In Maine we were given the stay at home order in early April it currently extends through May 15th. I had already stopped working on March 20th because all my scheduled jobs were in peoples homes. April 27th I'll be starting back up because the state of Maine can't seem to figure out how to employ the unemployment payments for self employed people so I need to start making money again. Fortunately I'll be doing exterior jobs only which require no contact with other people. Also my job falls under construction and it's on the essential list in my state.

I have a bottle of alcohol in my Jeep, when I get my paint at the paint store I call in the order and they leave it on a table outside for pick up , I wipe every thing down with alcohol as I load it in my jeep. this **** is real people , don't think for a second it's just the flu. Stay safe.

User Info Menu

This whole thing has been pretty darn wild to me.
    I was called back to the US because I'm immunocompromised and my family wanted me to be in a situation where bed availability was higher. So I had to pack a bag right then and get on the next flight I could to Chicago. During that trip, I found myself watching the entire London night tube shut down for the first time that night. It was both pretty scary and surreal. I was told midway through my journey to take buses to the airport. I was even scanned personally by the CDC when I got to Chicago!

Since then, things have been laying relatively low here, as my dad works from his room. Universities have become far more relaxed in how students get things in (my own basically guaranteed the degree to anyone graduating this year), and we've been making some changes to the house. As part of getting one of our bathrooms repaired (otherwise the floor of it would become too loose and break), we're moving things around, getting rid of a lot of junk.

The other part of this is that we're putting together a music studio, because we've got the stuff for it. So, I've begun overhauling my kit and grabbing my dad's older keyboards (one of which is a digital 80s synthesizer) to prepare for that. I'd love to record something there, possibly even make an album of sorts. It was initially conceived as an idea so I could put together music for animation, but it's clear we won't stop there. Dad's wanted this for a very long time.
    Last edited by concrete Building; 04-21-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I was lucky enough to play a socially distanced 3k attendance gig last month before everything shut back down kinda. It wasn't as good as normal, but it was such a relief to get out and be able to play with my boys again. Tons of empty seats with the distancing thing, but we made it and was a great gig.

User Info Menu

Re-organizing the garage today and decided to stack up the drums mainly just to get them out of the way but also because it's going to take a long time before anything returns to what it was 5 months ago. Eventually?... yes i believe this will go away but probably not anytime soon.

On the bright side I have the e-kit set up and can play whenever and do things with computer programs.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

How is everyone making do financially? I know some of the federal assistance is starting to dry up. Do you have day jobs? Do you have temp work? Many friends of mine who are full time musicians are quite worried about how they're going to pay the rent in the coming months.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    How is everyone making do financially? I know some of the federal assistance is starting to dry up. Do you have day jobs? Do you have temp work? Many friends of mine who are full time musicians are quite worried about how they're going to pay the rent in the coming months.
    Just coming off of my 8th week of furlough overall (1 week March, 1 in April, 3 in June, 3 in July). From what I hear, I have been lucky as the state of MI has only screwed up 2 of my weeks (so far). The March week was too early for the extra $600 from the feds. They were supposed to send it out retroactively but I have never seen it. One of my June weeks they never paid me for. I still have to submit for my last July week, so keeping my fingers crossed that that goes smooth. The good news is my expenses have been cut significantly so we are still doing ok. I know many people who have lost their jobs completely so I am thankful every day that mine is still here for now.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

My wife was able to just continue on working she just works from home now. I'm a self employed painting contractor so I stopped working on March 20th. Then I got a call from a guy I do a lot of painting for , he owns a lot of properties and in the last year bought a company that does work all over the east coast. They have a lot of painting work that they send out and it costs the company between $350,000.00 and $500,000.00 per year, so he asked if I'd like to go on payroll and do all their painting as well as continuing the up keep on his other properties. I said hell yes. So I only had 3 weeks off before I started up with this company. Unfortunately my first week I had a bad fall on the job (see my post here for info: https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....st-be-bad-luck) so I was out 5 weeks, but they continued to pay me while I was out and they are also covering all my medical bills.

So other than taking the fall , I've made out way better than I was before Covid hit. Full time year round work , making more money. At work there are a few other people around but we are in a huge fabrication shop and well over 6 feet apart more like 20 feet. Also I do not go anywhere where there are other people , no stores , no nothing , just to the Dr. office.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 07-28-2020 at 06:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Unfortunately my first week I had a bad fall on the job (see my post here for info: https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....st-be-bad-luck) so I was out 5 weeks, but they continued to pay me while I was out and they are also covering all my medical bills.
    Man, you are so lucky to have them help you like that. Many are not that fortunate. Sorry about your fall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Just coming off of my 8th week of furlough overall (1 week March, 1 in April, 3 in June, 3 in July). From what I hear, I have been lucky as the state of MI has only screwed up 2 of my weeks (so far). The March week was too early for the extra $600 from the feds. They were supposed to send it out retroactively but I have never seen it. One of my June weeks they never paid me for. I still have to submit for my last July week, so keeping my fingers crossed that that goes smooth. The good news is my expenses have been cut significantly so we are still doing ok. I know many people who have lost their jobs completely so I am thankful every day that mine is still here for now.
    Man, glad you're still working some. The paycheck protection money has helped but it's now being cut back. I'm concerned about musicians and low income workers particularly. I hope they don't fall through the cracks.

User Info Menu

I've fortunate to be able to work from home and except for a temporary (3 month) 10% pay cut instituted by my company, I have been affected that much. My wife is a nurse practitioner, so she's been going to work as normal, and fortunately has not been infected.
    One of my bands played its first gig since March this past weekend, outdoors at a marina. Turnout was much better than average and although we were a bit rusty, we got through it fine and the crowd loved us. The manager loved us as well and even though we offered her a discount on this first gig back, she paid us extra and asked if we could come back next Saturday to cover a cancellation.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Man, you are so lucky to have them help you like that. Many are not that fortunate. Sorry about your fall.
    Thanks , yeah this guy I'm working for I met about 6 years ago and I've been doing a lot of painting for him since then. He's a very generous guy and a very nice guy. When you hear the term "He'd give you the shirt off his back" that's this guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Thanks , yeah this guy I'm working for I met about 6 years ago and I've been doing a lot of painting for him since then. He's a very generous guy and a very nice guy. When you hear the term "He'd give you the shirt off his back" that's this guy.
    Helps restore faith in humanity.

User Info Menu

Keeping in mind that NE is probably the state LEAST effected, the industrial markets have remained strong. Some industry segments are a little soft, but others have taken up the slack. The store I manage has actually gotten busier compared to last year at this time. We’ve even came close to hitting our sales quota the last few months. I’ve been spending 11hrs a day in the office trying to keep up.
    That said, we have stores in other Midwest locations that are significantly down. Our company had to restructure in some Market areas and eliminated about 10 positions company wide, as well as making everyone take 3 days furlough sometime between July 1 and Oct 1 at their discretion.
    I’m very grateful that my store is one of the lucky ones...at least for now.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

We have lost 10hrs per pay period here at my workplace and about 20 of us are being placed into different departments in coming months... very thankful just to still be working.

After an appointment the other day I drove through downtown Atlanta Peachtree St. and noticed all the restaurants that were once packed with tourists all closed up. Can't imagine the effects this is having...
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ive been lucky. I work for a family of radio stations as a news journalist, and news never stops. We had several people get laid off, but I was retained. That’s helped out tremendously. My wife was furloughed, but returned to work two weeks ago.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals