Thread: How many do their own recording?!

User Info Menu

Default How many do their own recording?!

So today I decided to take a new step forward.
    In college I did a lot of studio recording (this is why I have a snare obsession)
    I've also done lots of recording with my old bands and etc but I've never done anything myself.

so I purchased some intro mics to get me started.
    Now I need a bunch of cables, some stands, figure out an interface (totally up for help and suggestions) and then try some free programs until I find the DAW I like working with. . .

User Info Menu

Default Re: How many do their own recording?!

That should cover about half of your kit. The clip-ons will be greatly appreciated.

How many cables do you need? I'm guessing 12? (One for spare)
    What length do you want? I believe most of mine are 15' to 25' with most probably being 20'.
    Do you want new or used? Most of mine are road/gig worthy tried and tested and in great (many years of service left) condition.

You are probably also at a point where you should look at getting your own snake and then your own board. I got some "to go" models available.

Let me know before you buy.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I want to record so badly but just don't have the extra time or cash right now.

User Info Menu

I’ve use that microphone set before, and it’s actually surprisingly good for the money. The only letdown was the bass drum mic, but that makes a pretty decent floor tom mic. I would look into an additional bass drum microphone, and possibly making your own sub kick.

You may want to buy bulk XLR cable, and attach your own ends. Bish has the right idea for getting a snake. That makes life a lot easier.

As far as an interface, and DAW, that’s totally up to you. Focusrite makes pretty good stuff for the money.

User Info Menu

Been recording at my buddy's home studio for over 7 years now and the mics have stayed the same but the positioning of the mics have changed throughout the years.

Presently, got two mics on the kick, Beta 52 on the reso and Audix 6 deep inside the port two inches from where the beater hits,. Stuffed inside is a Evans EQ pillow and a bedsheet to dampen up the overtones.

Due to a shortage of input channels the 10, 12 rack toms share a D2 and the 14 and 16 share a D4:

Last edited by late8; 08-15-2020 at 03:46 PM.

User Info Menu

continued...

Hithats have a Beta 57 and the snare has an Audix i5 clipped to the hoop:

Overheads are (2x) CAD 90 and (1x) AKG T170 small condenser:

DAW is old technology, a Roland 2480 from 2004 and it has its limitations compared to what available today but my buddy is reluctant to upgrade to ProTools due to the steep learning curve.

From 2004:

Last edited by late8; 08-15-2020 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

continued...

Picked the Audix 5A set with clip-on mic holders and a case for $699 added the (2x) Beta 57 @$99 ea. and the AKG -T170 (discontinued) for $140: