Thread: why is

User Info Menu

Default why is

why is A zildjian called adevis? doesnt make sence to me.

User Info Menu

I think one of their crafters or users were named Avedis... Don't use that for reference though because I've only heard it around lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

kk :P thanks for the reply

User Info Menu

Avedis Zildjian is the name of the guy who founded the company 400 years ago, and Avedis Zildjian III is the guy who originally brought them to the U.S., when he moved to Boston. Sheesh, am I the only one here that uses wikipedia?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool why is?

Why go to Wikipedia when you can go straight to the source, bro'?

This is from the Zildjian website...

http://www.zildjian.com/en-US/about/default.ad2

Enjoy, Laf!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Why go to Wikipedia when you can go straight to the source, bro'?
    Because I wanted to get the angle on the history of Sabian also, and since Robert and Armand had such a bad feud, I doubt that either of Armands daughters would put the full story on their site.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Because I wanted to get the angle on the history of Sabian also, and since Robert and Armand had such a bad feud, I doubt that either of Armands daughters would put the full story on their site.
    Hey the dynamics of families. Aren't they great!
    Last edited by backtodrum; 12-17-2007 at 05:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Indeed... you guys do know that Robert Zildjian is the founder, and current owner of Sabian cymbals right? And that he's the uncle of the current owners of Zildjian cymbals.

User Info Menu

hey thanks for the BB! so Avedis founded the A zildjian, and the A cust K cust and K zildjian were cymbals created from the avedis line?

User Info Menu

Soooo, who is Armand Zildjian?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

The first Zildjian cymbals were created in 1618 in Istanbul by an Armenian man named Avedis, who, while looking for a way to turn base metal into gold, created an alloy combining tin, copper, and silver into a sheet of metal that could make musical sounds without shattering. Avedis took the surname of Zildjian, from Turkish "zil+ci" (cymbal-maker/seller) and the Armenian suffix "yan" (son of), and began an industry in 1623, the details of whose main product remained secret for generations. It became family tradition that only the oldest son of the company's head would know the manufacturing process.

User Info Menu

The Zildjian Company moved from manufacturing noisemakers to frighten the enemies of the Ottoman Empire to manufacturing its cymbals as musical instruments in the 19th century. In 1908, Avedis Zildjian III migrated to Boston, while Kerope Zildjian continued to make cymbals in Turkey under the K Zildjian Constantinople name. In 1923, the Turkish Republic was established and the name of Constantinople was officially changed to Istanbul, resulting in the change of the company’s name from K. Zildjian Constantinople to K. Zildjian Istanbul. In around 1926, Aram Zildjian signed an exclusive American distribution agreement for K. Zildjian cymbals with Gretsch.

User Info Menu

Around 1928, Avedis III and Aram Zildjian began manufacturing cymbals in Quincy, Massachusetts, and the Avedis Zildjian Co. was formed in 1929, the same year that the Great Depression began, in competition with the K. Zildjian company in Turkey. Avedis made many innovations in cymbals that are still around today; he was the first to develop drum-set cymbals, and gave cymbals names such as ride, crash, splash, and hi-hat. Jazz drummers such as Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, Shelly Manne, Cozy Cole, and Papa Jo Jones all used Avedis Zildjian cymbals. The cymbals were made with both automated processes and hand hammering, but Zildjian ended the latter tradition in 1964 after a rise in demand resulting from the popularity of The Beatles' drummer Ringo Starr on The Ed Sullivan Show.

User Info Menu

In 1975, there were problems with the Turkish government and Robert went over to Turkey and brought over a crew to start making K. Zildjian cymbals in the Azco plant. This was an interesting time for the Zildjian clan because it was the first time that Kerope and Avedis Zildjian had worked together to make the same Zildjian cymbals after years of competing with each other as A. Zildjian and K. Zildjian Istanbul. These were made until 1979 when Avedis died and Robert split from Zildjian amidst conflict with his brother, Armand Zildjian. Shortly thereafter, in 1981, Robert started making Sabian cymbals in the Meductic Azco factory, while Kerope and his son continued to make Sabian's early HH (Hand Hammered) cymbals.

User Info Menu

The settlement gave Robert Zildjian the Canadian factory that at that time produced 40% of the production of the Avedis Zildjian Company, and most notably the entire K. Zildjian line, all manufacturing in Turkey having ceased by this time. Robert agreed not to use the Zildjian name or to claim that his cymbals were the same. The most notable difference between Zildjian and Sabian is that Zildjian uses a softer, mellower sounding alloy while Sabian uses a more tin-based alloy.

User Info Menu

Robert Zildjian formed the word "Sabian" from the two first letters of the names of his three children Sally, Billy and Andy, and initially released two lines of cymbals, HH and AA, both of them of the traditional bell bronze alloy.

for more check out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabian_%28company%29
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zildjian

User Info Menu

yeah... that's right, I copied and pasted all of that directly from wikipedia.

User Info Menu

If you want some interesting history read up on the Armenian people. The Armenians have been in the news here lately about the US recognizing the Armenian genocide. Fascinating history lesson on that country.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Cool Made in America...

Did anybody see that episode of Made in America where they went through the Zildjian plant?

They gave a bit of the history of the company and one piece that was not in Kryshah's Wikipedia reference was that he was given the surname Zildjian by the king, who liked the way the cymbals sounded and gave him free reign to make the cymbals for he himself. Then it went from there. Pretty cool eh? I guess we have the king of Turkey to thank for the awesomness that is Zildjian Cymbals.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3906&dateline=1196908  888
    "Did you hear that Robin? 'Were'. 'Were'! DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO ME LIKE THAT AGAIN! I'M BARRRY GIBB! I'LL PUT YOU IN THE GROUND! PUT-YOU-IN--THE-GROUND--YeaH!

User Info Menu

Indeed we do, and i think it's neat that the first Zildjian Cymbals were for military use. The first ones were used to frighten the enemy in battle. Neat eh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    If you want some interesting history read up on the Armenian people. The Armenians have been in the news here lately about the US recognizing the Armenian genocide. Fascinating history lesson on that country.
    I live close to Glendale CA which has the most Armenians out of any American city. I didn't know much about them until I moved to LA. It's sad that the genocide happened but I'm not a big fan of most Armenians. The women are traditionally nice( because they're subdued much by the men) all I'll say is that the younger generation has tried to use the genocide ploy as an excuse to be the way they are....even though they've never been to Armenia! Much of them "lease" expensive cars trying to look like ballers and live 4 or so cramped in a small apartment trying to out do the next. They've taken on the urban look and culture like it's their own, also using the N word like it's their duty or something. The funny thing is that even though they're "urban" it's their culture that is fighting in the school systems against the black folks. Most don't get along with the brothas. Now don't get me wrong, I DO have Armenian friends (including neighbors..etc) but a good majority of the NEW SKOOL ones I can't stand how they try to play hard and act like everyone owes them something cuz of what their grand parents went through not them.