Thread: Dennis Chambers

User Info Menu

Default Dennis Chambers

Dennis Chambers is another outstanding fusion drummer. He has played with John Scofield, George Duke, Victor Wooten, Brecker Brothers, Santana, John McLaughlin, Niacin, Mike Stern, CAB, Greg Howe, and many others.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dennis Chambers

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-27-2020 at 06:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah he is ok......
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yeah he is ok......
    Coughed out coffee thru nose...

User Info Menu

What's funny is, back in the day, he was so far advanced and in a league of his own. Now, 20 some years later, he doesn't even stand out anymore. Of course he is still extraordinary but now, there are many players with that level of technique but have taken time, subdivided it all over the place and playing patterns on top of patterns, creating not only advanced beats but sick polyrhythms within.

User Info Menu

I have probably told this story before but back in 2007 I had just taken up the drums complete newby and I was taking lessons at a local music store Called Big Daddy's Junky Music. Anyway the lessons were 2 fold 1)Mondays were private 1 on 1 drums only and 2) they had a program for students wanting to play in a band situation and on Wednesdays I would practice with a guitar player, and bass player and the instructor would teach us to play 4 songs and then we got to play those 4 songs in front of people at a local studio 8 weeks later. Anyway Dennis Chambers comes in wednesday to give a clinic 2 hrs before our rehearsal time and of course we were all there watching him put on a really great clinic. He gets done and about 20 minutes later the instructor tells us all to meet in back music room to rehearse.

We go out back away from the crowd and started rehearsing. The room was about 12 x 8 with carpeted walls and was set up with 1 door and a viewing window into the room to the right of the door. Of course the drums were set up so your back was facing the window. We started playing and after about 30 minutes and 5 mistakes I notice the 3 guys I am playing with smiling and looking at me, I turn around and there is Dennis Chambers watching me play and he gives me a big thumbs up... LOL man I suddenly got nervous as all get out but continued playing mistakes and all.. We finished that song and the instructor waived him in and he said I can't stay guys but that sounds great and looked at me and said I just learned to play a new song and smiled... Of course I said how not to play it and he said oh no your doing fine keep at it.. That was so cool, even though I was like 40 I felt like a kid again...LOL He is a great guy and I got to talk with him for a few minutes after that as he was leaving the store about an hour later. BTW the song was Lawyers, Guns, and Money. Easy for me now but back then when I did not have very little independence it was a challenge : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

That's a good experience.

User Info Menu

Cool story!