Thread: Small Crashes Anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Small Crashes Anyone?

Do any of you prefer small crashes? I now have 15" and 17" crashes, and that is what I will be playing for the rest of my life. I know that for several years many drummers play two big cymbals. So here is what I now have.

All Sabian
    20" HHX Evolution Ride
    17" AA Medium-Thin Crash
    15" SR2 Thin Crash (does not sound "splashy" at all)
    14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Default Re: Small Crashes Anyone?

I prefer small, thin crashes. Typically, they open up for a full sound without being too loud. A lot depends on the application. Most of the local venues here are small. Having a full crash sound at medium-low volume makes all the difference in the mix and the presentation of the song. The stage mics usually pick them up anyway. Many local Drummers I hear try to play 18” or 20” rock crashes in small venues and they are either waaaay too loud or they sound like crap because they can’t hit them hard enough to get the full sound. Either way, they don’t blend with the rest of the band and the mix. Obviously, there are exceptions.

Some places I use 12” & 14” crashes, others I use 14” & 16”. Only time I use 16”&18” is for outdoor gigs. I have 18”, 20” and 22” rides that I switch between; once again depending on the venue. Sometimes I start small, but after the second set, most of the people left are the serious parties. Then we crank up the volume and I switch out to larger cymbals for the last 2 sets.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Horses for courses. I prefer 'glassy' sounding cymbals that open quickly and decay quickly, too. Consequently, I currently use Sabian's AAXplosion range for crashes and have 14, 16 and 18" versions of these cymbals. For church, I use 14 and 16 and for most other gigs with my band, I use 16 and 18 often with an 18" ozone.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I prefer the smaller crash cymbals 14, 15, and 16.
    I have a number of 16 inch crashes that are all a bit different and sound great.
    The K Zildjian thins and medium-thins are outstanding.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Since we have been having drive-in church services, I have been playing my set, rather than the church's set. I saw a video of today's service, and the cymbals sounded great. The 17" is low pitched for its size, and the 15" sounds full and not splashy at all. I am one happy drummer. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

So much of what cymbals you use has to do with what bands and what music you're playing, and of course where you're playing and whether the drums are mic'ed relative to how loud the band is playing. So, obviously a lot of factors. The only drawback to small, thin crashes are, they're prone to breakage quicker. I use 16" and 17" mostly, medium weight.

User Info Menu

15" to 18" crashes for me. Bright, quick decay, is my preference.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I bought a new crash for $99, so here are my crashes now: Sabian AA 16" Concept Crash(the new one) and Sabian AA 17" Medium-Thin Crash. My HHX Evolution Ride is very crashable too. Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

My smallest is a 15 but sadly no longer on my current setup.

User Info Menu

Rather than size I am more concerned about weight, a 20" super thin crash will probably still be quieter than a 16" heavy bright one.

Although while on the subject of small cymbals, I came across a 12" Byzance Traditional Splash recently that literally has the pitch of a 15". It's quieter with a faster decay of course, but for a compact low volume setup it would be hard to beat.

User Info Menu

I used a 14" Paiste 2002 for a while when playing with my metal band. I really liked it.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

My main crashes are 16" and 18". A 14" Zildjian Effects holy/slotted one, a 16" China Boy High and three splashes sprinkled about the set. Yeah, I like 'em short and sweet. A smack in the kisser. I have a 20" Zildjian Pang too. Not very useful as a crash and not in use at present. I'm thinking of putting rivets in it and using it as a left side aux ride. I think cymbals please me more than drums.

User Info Menu

Smallest crash I use is a 14" Zildjian K Custom Dark. Got it parked right above the 10" rack tom. It decays fast and gets out of the way. Great for accents.

User Info Menu

I was way wrong in the original post. I still have the 15" SR2 Thin crash and the 14" SR2 Hats, but everything else has changed. I made a big cymbal trade, bought three Sabian Concept Crashes, and changed the cymbals at church. So here is what I now have.

Sabian
    21" AA Bash Ride
    16" AA Thin Crash
    15" SR2 Thin Crash
    14" SR2 Hats

I am planning to buy a thin Sabian 18" or 19" crash next week. Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

i won't use anything under 17" for my rock/metal.

And honestly I don't like anything under 16" period.

User Info Menu

My smallest is 16" but I had a 15" A Custom that was killer. That is one I should never have sold now that I think about it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have a 16" medium and a 18" ride/crash. I much prefer the 16". In fact, I plan on getting another one, maybe a medium thin.
    Slingerland/Zildjian
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

User Info Menu

Now I have too many crashes: 15", 16", 17", and 18". The 20" HHX Evolution Ride is crashable too. Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

The 16" K Custom Special Dry Crash does the job for me.

User Info Menu

It really comes down to having a "palatte" of cymbals to meet the need depending on mic/no mic, room, PA and music and instrumentation etc, etc. Smaller cymbals may have a nice envelope but can get lost in a louder setting if not well miced.
    In an all acoustic or generally quieter setting I love my splashes and effects cymbals and save the bigger guns, the 18" and 17" crashes for the big exclamation marks.

User Info Menu

Here is what I now have (all Sabian, except for the China)

20" HHX Evolution Ride
    17" and 18" AAX Studio Crashes
    18" SR2 Thin (makes a good crash-ride cymbal)
    16" AA Thin Crash
    16" Wuhan China
    14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army