Thread: Art Blakey

User Info Menu

Default Art Blakey

Art Blakey has been a major inluence on me from way back at the beginning. There is just too much to be said about him. He played with uncountable great musicians like Dizzie Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Thelonius Monk, and others and created his own world renowned band named "Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers". He originally started that band with Horace Sliver, but after Horace Silver left he continued the Jazz Messengers. He fostered new musicans who became stars in their own right like Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Kenny Dorham, Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd, Jackie McLean, Johnny Griffin, Curtis Fuller, Chuck Mangione, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Cedar Walton, Woody Shaw, Terence Blanchard, Wynton Marsalis, Bobby Timmons, and others.

Tony Williams strove to play with Art Blakey's Drive and Passion (his own words).

Art Blakey went to Africa in 1947 after playing with Billy Eckstine (a famous singer and band leader). He went there to study African drumming. He returned and introduced "real" African drumming to American jazz with the album "Ritual". He made many more albums with African dumming.

Here is a short drum solo with some of his African playing.
    Last edited by aboveforever; 05-07-2020 at 08:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Art Blakey

I have a Art Blakey b-bop book and it was seriously one of my all time favorite challenging books.

User Info Menu

YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I was channel surfing many years ago and came across a show where Art Blakey was playing for children. He talked about playing, improvising and even discussed stick selection. He then had the kids up on stage two at a time to take turns playing his drums.

It would be greatly understating it if I was to say I was impressed. It seems like this man lived to truly be a music messenger.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

To get a better understanding of who Art Blakey was, this song should give you some idea. The actual title is "Moanin' with Hazel", but it has been shortened to just "Moanin". It was written by Bobby Timmons (Art Blakey's piano player). It is one of the most famous jazz compositions out there and has been played by many jazz musicans. You may have heard it.

This was recorded in 1958 at the Club au Saint Germain in France (released in 1959). The Jazz Messengers then included Bobby Timmons, Lee Morgan - Trumpet, Benny Golson - Tenor Sax, and Jimmy Meritt on Bass.

This is the original "Moanin".
    Last edited by aboveforever; 05-09-2020 at 03:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aboveforever View Post
    Art Blakey has been a major inluence on me from way back at the beginning. There is just too much to be said about him. He played with uncountable great musicians like Dizzie Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Thelonius Monk, and others and created his own world renowned band named "Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers". He originally started that band with Horace Sliver, but after Horace Silver left he continued the Jazz Messengers. He fostered new musicans who became stars in their own right like Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Kenny Dorham, Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd, Jackie McLean, Johnny Griffin, Curtis Fuller, Chuck Mangione, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Cedar Walton, Woody Shaw, Terence Blanchard, Wynton Marsalis, Bobby Timmons, and others.

Tony Williams strove to play with Art Blakey's Drive and Passion (his own words).

Art Blakey went to Africa in 1947 after playing with Billy Eckstine (a famous singer and band leader). He went there to study African drumming. He returned and introduced "real" African drumming to American jazz with the album "Ritual". He made many more albums with African dumming.

Here is a short drum solo with some of his African playing.
    Based on your mentioning RITUAL, I listened to it via my Amazon Music Unlimited service. Thank you for putting me onto a great album!
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

You're welcome. Here are some more albums with "African drumming". "Orgy in Rhythm - Volumes 1 & 2" (which has other drummers on it playing with Art Blakey - Arther (Art) Talyor, Jo Jones, Specs Wright, and others and "Holiday For Skins - Volumes 1 & 2" which also has Philly Joe Jones, Arther Taylor, and others on congas and bongos and other various percussion instruments.

Some songs are drumming and some with jazz. Here is "Dinga" from "Holiday For Skins Volume 2"

User Info Menu

This is Art Blakey commenting on "Ritual".

User Info Menu

This is "Ritual".

User Info Menu

"Night in Tunisia". When Tony Williams said he was influenced by Art Blakey's passion and drive, this is what he was talking about. This video is a lttle different that the previous post of just the drum from a different performance. This is the total package.

Last edited by aboveforever; 05-10-2020 at 11:51 PM.