Thread: New Snare Recommendations Please ...

User Info Menu

Default New Snare Recommendations Please ...

Once again I'm in the market for additional snare. I sold my Mapex Sledgehammer 6.5x14, DW Collectors 6.5x14 maple, and Pearl Free Float 3.5x14.

My current favorite is Tama G-Maple 13x7, next is Pork Pie 13x7 Pig Lite (orange), and third is Pork Pie 13x7 little squealer. I also have a Tama 14x5.5 starclassic birch and old yamaha steel 6.5x14.

You've probably noticed the pattern - I love 13x7 snares. I tune them high for funk/fusion.

I'm thinking about getting the PDP 13x7 Limited Edition Maple Walnut, PDP Chad Smith 13x7 Acrylic, or Ludwig 13x7 Black Magic but have never played any of these and probably won't have an opportunity before buying.

Any recommendations? I'm completely open to everything, although prefer sticking with 13x7.
    Last edited by fpmr96a; 05-12-2020 at 11:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Snare Recommendations Please ...

13x7 is my favorite size! I have all the same ones you've listed hahaha

The PDP 13x7 walnut is awesome too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    13x7 is my favorite size! I have all the same ones you've listed hahaha

The PDP 13x7 walnut is awesome too.
    I really wanted the PDP 13x7 maple BUBINGA version, but they're discontinued and impossible to find. I wonder how much of a difference there is between the walnut and bubinga.

User Info Menu

I’m partial to 13x7 as well. If you like metal, I can recommend the Ludwig Supralite as a nice option. Almost the same sound as a Black Magic or Beauty at a fraction of the cost...definitely a sleeper.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I bought the PDP 13x7 maple walnut and received today. I love this snare. Sounds and looks great!
    Sam
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute|Tama Starclassic Birch|Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga (2 kits)|Yamaha Power V|1962 Slingerland |Snares: Sonor S-Class Pro, Yamaha Recording Custom brass, Starphonic aluminum, SLP G-Maple, Tama Fat Spruce, SLP Bubinga, Black Magic

User Info Menu

If you haven't seen them, Benny Greb has a new signature snare out. It's an amazing piece of engineering to say the least.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    If you haven't seen them, Benny Greb has a new signature snare out. It's an amazing piece of engineering to say the least.
    That's a beautiful snare. I'm sure it sounds great, coming from Sonor.
    Sam
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute|Tama Starclassic Birch|Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga (2 kits)|Yamaha Power V|1962 Slingerland |Snares: Sonor S-Class Pro, Yamaha Recording Custom brass, Starphonic aluminum, SLP G-Maple, Tama Fat Spruce, SLP Bubinga, Black Magic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fpmr96a View Post
    That's a beautiful snare. I'm sure it sounds great, coming from Sonor.
    Pricey, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Pricey, too.
    Sonor has never been shy about charging top dollar. But, great gear ...
    Sam

User Info Menu

Sonor has never been shy about charging top dollar. But, great gear ...
    I like the way you think!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

So, I was playing my brand new PDP snare tonight and heard this strange rattle sound that seemed a stretched snare wire. Upon turning the drum upside down to inspect, I noticed a nut and washer bouncing around inside. They ended up going on the air vent.

Easy fix but shame on pdp for the crappy quality control ...
    Sam

User Info Menu

So, I was playing my brand new PDP snare tonight and heard this strange rattle sound that seemed a stretched snare wire. Upon turning the drum upside down to inspect, I noticed a nut and washer bouncing around inside. They ended up going on the air vent.

Easy fix but shame on pdp for the crappy quality control ...
    I'd keep an eye on that. It may happen again.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'd keep an eye on that. It may happen again.
    There was a lock washer, which should keep it in place, but I will keep an eye on it.
    Sam

User Info Menu

Still loving the new pdp 13x7, but I couldn’t resist and ended up buying a PDP Eric Hernandez 13x5 piccolo snare.

Black maple shell with gold hardware and hoops. Great punchy side snare for funk and fusion.
    Sam

User Info Menu

13x7 dw purpleheart!