Thread: Drumset with no bottom heads

User Info Menu

Default Drumset with no bottom heads

Saw a guy over the weekend with a drumset with no bottom heads. Haven't seen this since the 70's... or the 80's with Phil Collins set. I just can't believe someone would be happy with this sound these days. It's come so far and drums now sound better than ever. Playing with bottom heads for me would be like stepping back in time. If I want my drums to sound like cardboard boxes, I'll buy some cardboard boxes. Ha!

User Info Menu

Hey! I resemble that remark! .......
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Oh man, I'm sorry! And I have seen your set before but forgot.
    I do feel that way about bottom-less drums (ducks flying objects), but maybe I should have said it more diplomatically. Sorry MetalDrummer

Hey, why don't you buy a "real" drumset!

User Info Menu

HA,HA,HA... I figured that I would catch you off guard. Right on drummer.

User Info Menu

my set dosent have bottom heads either i got rims and all i just never put them on
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

While were on the topic of bottomless heads have you guys seen those gong drums?

I tried to get an image but failed several times look it up yourselves

User Info Menu

By the way isn't the proper term resonant head???????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Saw a guy over the weekend with a drumset with no bottom heads. Haven't seen this since the 70's... or the 80's with Phil Collins set. I just can't believe someone would be happy with this sound these days. It's come so far and drums now sound better than ever. Playing with bottom heads for me would be like stepping back in time. If I want my drums to sound like cardboard boxes, I'll buy some cardboard boxes. Ha!
    Quaker Oates makes a very nice tubular box. They sounded great when I was in kindergarten !!
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

That is like stepping back in time. Cool set though. Looks like fun!

User Info Menu

Cool Drumset with no bottom heads

MetalDrummer--am I right that that's an older Slingerland kit? The badges looked like a '70's-vintage kit I had when I started drumming. Mine had no bottom heads either, but that's only because the guy from whom I bought it didn't have the bottom hoops or heads...mine didn't look as good as yours, but it had a killer sound...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

DAMN metal drummer ...look at the size of those boom arms ....talk about wanting to be noticed ...hahahaha....nice kit....colors not to my taste but thats just personal taste .Been a long time since i`ve seen a drummer using rototoms too ....never tried them myself .mabey that`ll be my next purchase .after a decent throne ,a few more cymbals ,some more hardwear (god i hope the wife doesn`t read this ..lol.)

dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    MetalDrummer--am I right that that's an older Slingerland kit? The badges looked like a '70's-vintage kit I had when I started drumming. Mine had no bottom heads either, but that's only because the guy from whom I bought it didn't have the bottom hoops or heads...mine didn't look as good as yours, but it had a killer sound...
    It's actually from the mid '80's. It sounds like yours had the holes/lugs for the bottom lugs/heads-just not used. These don't have any holes for the lugs for the bottom heads. That's how they came from the factory. Factory color too. (I wrote to Slingerland/Gretsch in the '90's and I still have the reply they sent me). Thanks bongobro, for the complement.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
    DAMN metal drummer ...look at the size of those boom arms ....talk about wanting to be noticed ...hahahaha....nice kit....colors not to my taste but thats just personal taste .Been a long time since i`ve seen a drummer using rototoms too ....never tried them myself .mabey that`ll be my next purchase .after a decent throne ,a few more cymbals ,some more hardwear (god i hope the wife doesn`t read this ..lol.)

dave
    I LOVE the look of being surrounded by boom arms!! (Second only to a huge, full cage!!)
    Check out Rototoms!! They add great, different sounds to a "standard" kit. Best of all-their cheap!! ($100-$150 for three drums).

User Info Menu

Default Drumset with no bottom heads

Hey, METALDRUMMER--you nailed it on my bottomless Slingerlands...mine had the lower hardware but neither the heads nor the rims.

Mine were manufactured sometime around 1974-76. They were red-white-and-blue-striped sparkle (I ought to put this up in another thread), and I suspect they were made and sold for the Bicentennial (sorta like those "Spirit of America" Chevy Impalas, Novas and Vegas they sold in the same era)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck