Thread: How to start a band? Confused Beginner...

User Info Menu

Smile How to start a band? Confused Beginner...

Hey everyone, I played the drums for a few years a while back, but was out of commission for a while due to multiple ankle injuries. I've just started picking it up again and though I was never great, its coming back to me pretty quickly. Anyways, I just agreed to start a band with some people I met in my area (solo drumming is just getting OLD!), all of whom have a decent background in their instruments, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me?? I'm good with time and rhythm (played trumpet for 10 years...), but its hard for my to get better at the drums when I don't know what I'm doing. I can't afford lessons, and I try to play to music I like off Cds and stuff, but I'm afraid I'm going to be really lacking in skill when I get together with my new bandmates. What should I be working on?? I guess it would be good to mention that we're a "metal" band, but I know I'm lacking more than a double bass pedal at this point... My kit is basic (1 bass, floor, mid and high toms, snare, ride cymbal, high hats), but I don't know what else I should invest in, and most importantly, I don't know how to "create" music, I'm good at sight reading, but I've never had to come up with a beat on my own. I know thats a lot of words, but hopefully someone can give me a little advice. My skills and confidence are lacking, and I'm a little concerned :(

User Info Menu

Just start jamming and see what chemistry you all have together...... That's a start

Welcome to Drum Chat thefive

User Info Menu

just keep your beats basic with some basic fills, you dont have to be neil peart to make good music

Shazane Guest

You don't have a crash? that's certainly a good investment. A double bass pedal would greatly expand your versatility as well.

Regardless, here's some important things. Metal isn't like rock and other genres in the aspect of drumming, rather than simply being the guy in the back you should be an equal member of the band, that doesn't mean you have to be really good right away, it all comes down to your writing technique. I find the best way to write a song is for a guitarist to come up with riffs first, then you write beats that fit with the riffs, that way it all fits together really well. As for more specific stylistic advice I need more info.

What kind of metal are you playing exactly? The mechanics of the subgenres can be drastically different, could you list some influences you all have? What is the lineup of your band? If you have lyrics what kind of themes do they follow?
    Last edited by Shazane; 12-17-2007 at 09:08 PM.

sonic_underground Guest

Default Joining a band

Hey well done for making the jump to playing in a band best decision of your life. I have been in my band for 2 years and it gets easier as you builed up a repore with your members. And drumming wise i always try to folow the melody and add fills that fit the tune and even copy the tune. But of course if there was a good and bad way of being a drummer in a band then we would all drum the same so it is more important to have your own style and be your own personality.
    sorry lots of words but i hope it helps
    good luck with the band

User Info Menu

Its not actually as hard or scary starting with a band as you might think, just get together and jam, you don't have to play anything complicated just get the guitarist to think of a riff, play some drums and bass along to it, stick a few good riffs together, rinse, repeat :P

To start with you should aim to get the drums and the bass guitar in a band to gel together well so you should be listening to the bassist a lot and vice versa, the guitarist should be playing over the "musical base" that you create.

You can get more complicated and technical as the group starts to build up a 'sound' and repore.

Heres a tip tho: get your drums tuned up well.

User Info Menu

my band all started because one day we started jamming. Its easy. About improving your drumming, buy either some tutor books, or buy a book of a band like chili peppers or something like that and jam with them! It really helped me improve my drumming with a band member. Its VERY diferent to drumming on your own because you have to realise whens a good time to put a fill in and whens not. Keep the beats suimple, try not to over play your toms or cymbals. Ad most importantly make sure your bass drum and your bass players bass are together. (My Dad says they are the same instrument and that same instruments play together!)

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're on the right track, start out with the basics, and build on that as you confidence grows. Listen to a lot of music in your Genres, to get ideas. Have fun with it!!!
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Playing live with other people is the perfect way to improve your drumming. You have to be more aware of time because they will look to you to provide that for them to play off of. When you play to cds mp3s you play to the time set to the music that is recorded. when you play live there is no set meter. Also you will be far more aware of dynamics than before. But I will tell you that once you start playing with other mucisians it is extremally adictive. When everyone is grooving and the sound is good it is euphoric. I heard that peoples first experience with like Herion, or Cocain is so fantastic that you hopelessly spend the rest of the time chasing that first High. Now don't get me wrong I am in no way advocating drug use. What i am saying is that addicts continually chase, trying to reproduce that first high until they are hopelessly addicted to drugs. Playing in a band is similar you will have good gigs and bad ones. But I find myself anyway chasing the next moment when everything is grooving perfectly with all the members of the band. And after it happens I can't wait for it to happen agian.

User Info Menu

Keep it simple buddy, 8ths on hats and/or ride, and alternate 4ths on bass and snare, a simple boom click boom click can take you far. And you don't have to be Danny Carey, or Joey Jordison to play good metal. The guy from disturbed keeps his beats very simple. I agree with Shazane about the hightened role of a drummer in a metal band, but honestly most important factor is that you have fun. Grow with your band. It's going to be hard at first, and everyone will sound terrible together, but keep at it, and you'll mesh. Like Backtodrum said, it's an addictive drug, and it is definitely accompanied by an unreal high!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

Shazane Guest

Oh yeah... if you could hear my first band Shadows of Chaos... we were so horrible... there aren't words to describe how bad we were. After a year and reforming into Entropy with most of the same members we've improved drastically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    Oh yeah... if you could hear my first band Shadows of Chaos... we were so horrible... there aren't words to describe how bad we were. After a year and reforming into Entropy with most of the same members we've improved drastically.
    wow, I really expected you to comment on my choice of metal examples. Like "disturbed isn't REAL metal" or some such.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    wow, I really expected you to comment on my choice of metal examples. Like "disturbed isn't REAL metal" or some such.
    Disturbed RULES, anyone who says something like that isnt a metal fan at all! Actually some of his beats are far from simple... I remember trying to play Numb a while ago...

User Info Menu

I'm no metal fan, but Disturbed rocks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    Disturbed RULES, anyone who says something like that isnt a metal fan at all! Actually some of his beats are far from simple... I remember trying to play Numb a while ago...
    I agree, Disturbed is a great band, and unlike cookie monster metal, the vocalist is very dynamic. As for the drums, I'm thinking of songs like Stupify and Down with the Sickness.

User Info Menu

as for writing songs, i just go with the flow. my bands first practice my guitarist and singer were working on a song while i was just jamming in the corner of the room. i played a fill while they were singing and it fit perfectly! so now we have the song (after working on it for a while of course) needless to say this doesnt always work but you will be suprised what you come up with when you are just jammin'
    lifes too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

User Info Menu

Hey, some major musicians made a career out of going on stage with a rough idea, and just jamming... called jam bands. You'd never see the same show twice!

User Info Menu

That is exactly how allot of the Allman Brothers music was conceived! Great musicians all of them.

User Info Menu

Cool How to start a band?

Quote Originally Posted by thefive View Post
    Hey everyone, I played the drums for a few years a while back, but was out of commission for a while due to multiple ankle injuries. I've just started picking it up again and though I was never great, its coming back to me pretty quickly. Anyways, I just agreed to start a band with some people I met in my area (solo drumming is just getting OLD!), all of whom have a decent background in their instruments, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me?? I'm good with time and rhythm (played trumpet for 10 years...), but its hard for my to get better at the drums when I don't know what I'm doing. I can't afford lessons, and I try to play to music I like off Cds and stuff, but I'm afraid I'm going to be really lacking in skill when I get together with my new bandmates. What should I be working on?? I guess it would be good to mention that we're a "metal" band, but I know I'm lacking more than a double bass pedal at this point... My kit is basic (1 bass, floor, mid and high toms, snare, ride cymbal, high hats), but I don't know what else I should invest in, and most importantly, I don't know how to "create" music, I'm good at sight reading, but I've never had to come up with a beat on my own. I know thats a lot of words, but hopefully someone can give me a little advice. My skills and confidence are lacking, and I'm a little concerned :(
    To quote my former boss, "don't borrow trouble." That is, don't worry about the disasters you think may happen, because they may not happen at all. If you guys are getting together for the first time, man, they're probably just as anxious as you about how they will play. If you've been playing along with "CDs and stuff," you already have some idea of what you want to do. The trick for you, man, is working with the your bandmates.

As many of our brother and sister drummers have pointed out, thefive, jamming is the best way to learn what will work for you--and what won't--and you'll learn what, if anything, you'll need to add to your equipment.

Remember that everyone in a band was in your shoes at the start--go in there, relax, and have fun with your buddies...and before long, you won't have to ask how to "create" music, because you will be...

Good luck and...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool

just play man....just paly and let yer heart and soul guide you from there,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!