Thread: Mel Lewis

User Info Menu

Default Mel Lewis

Mel Lewis is another great drummer who played and made cds with many people and different kinds of bands. He played and made albums with Pepper Adams , Manny Albam, Chet Baker, Bob Brookmeyer, Kenny Burrell, Benny Carter, Al Cohn, Bob Cooper, Hank Crawford, Eddie Daniels, Eric Dolphy, Maynard Ferguson, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Jimmy Hamilton, Johnny Hodges, Stan Kenton, Jimmy Knepper, Joe Lovano, Johnny Mandel, Herbie Mann, Warne Marsh, Jack McDuff, Gary McFarland, Jimmy McGriff , James Moody, Gerry Mulligan, Anita O'Day, Chico O'Farrill, Shorty Rogers, Pete Rugolo, Sal Salvador, Shirley Scott, Bud Shank, Sonny Stitt, Pepper Adams Quintet, Gerald Wilson, Jimmy Witherspoon

Mel also was a co-leader in the "Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra" (big band). Thad Jones was considered one of the great trumpet players, and his older brother is Hank Jones who was a legendary piano player. His younger borther is Elvin Jones. The Mel lewis-Thad Jones Orchestra played at the Village Vanguard in New York City for many years recording many live albums.

Here is "Send in the Clowns" recorded live at the Village Vangaurd.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mel Lewis

I would talk to Mel when he came to Buddy's club.

If memory serves, they only played on Mondays at the Vanguard.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mel Lewis

I saw Mel play with his big band when I was a kid. Blew me away!