Thread: Al Jackson Jr.

User Info Menu

Default Al Jackson Jr.

Al Jackson Jr. was an American drummer, producer, and songwriter. He was a session drummer who worked for Stax Records. Al was called "The Human Timekeeper" for his drumming ability. He was inducted into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame in 2015, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Booker T. &

At Stax, Jackson became one of the most influential drummers in the history of recorded music, providing an instantly recognizable backbeat behind the label's artists, including Rufus Thomas, Sam & Dave, Al Green ( Co-writer of "Let's Stay Together" and "I'm Still in Love with You"), Bill Withers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jean Knight, Major Lance, Ann Peebles, Rod Stewart, Herbie Mann and others.

He also played with and recorded with Otis Redding (seven albums - "The Dock of the Bay, Pain in My Heart, etc."), Donny Hathaway, Shirley Brown, Rod Stewart, Bill Withers, Delaney & Bonnie, William Bell, Aretha Franklin, Albert King ("Born Under a Bad Sign"), Eric Clapton, Wilson Pickett ("In the Midnight Hour"), Eddie Floyd ("Knock on Wood"), Elvis Presley, Carla Thomas, Leon Russell, and others.

He was also a co-founder of Booker T. and the MGs and made eleven albums.

This Al playing on one of the great all time songs "Green Onions" with Booker T. and the MGs. Sometimes simple is best.

Last edited by aboveforever; 06-01-2020 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Al Jackson Jr.

One of the top 100 tunes in my life growing up book. Love this one.