Hello everyone. I posted at Christmas when I got my new drum kit as a beginner and have been happily playing it since. My Kit is a Natal Arcadia 22’’ Am Fusion 5 piece in Black sparkle sunburst. I have upgraded to Zildjian A Custom cymbals and was amazed at the difference in sound.

It’s now time to turn my attention to the drum heads. The kit still has the basic heads on that came with it. The snare sounds nice but the others, to my untrained ear could be improved upon. I am totally baffled by the amount of drum heads available. I know nothing about them at all and wondered if anyone could help me choose.

I thought I might begin by getting a set of heads for my 3 toms which are 10, 12 and 16. I Thought I would buy the floor tom heads first as this is the worst sounding drum on my kit. (It has a flabby sound). If I like the heads I choose I can buy the same ones for the other toms. I’m only playing by myself for a hobby. I play mainly pop/ indie/ 80s stuff. The sound I like is a tight, higher, short, snappy, bright, dryish sound. Not too boomy or ringing. I like funk drumming but with warmth too. I do not hit the drums very hard (although I am free to play as loud as I like.) When I get better at drumming I would like to record, as I write my own songs.

I made these choices based on descriptions, reviews, and sound clips:

The batter head I’m considering is an Evans hydraulic black 16” drum head.

The resonant head I am considering is an Evans Reso 7 16’’ coated tom head.

Do these sound like good choices?