Thread: New Breed By Gary Chester

User Info Menu

Default New Breed By Gary Chester

Hey guys, has anyone bought and worked from this book? I just finally got around to it this morning and reading the 1st few pages I was surprised to see it calls for having a floor tom on your left as well as right (tuned down to BD timbre.) and 3 sets of high hats? 2 on left and 1 on the right? Is this all necessary?

Has anyone gone though these exercises without having everything or anything extra? I had to go to work so I could not read the actual exercises yet.

I guess one of the 2 on the left is kept in the closed position and not sure about the hats to the right? I assume those are meant to be played opened and closed?

I wish I would have read all this before I sold my back up beater kit....LOL
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Breed By Gary Chester

I wouldn't waste 2 seconds of my time on something like that.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

New Breed is a very valuable book. I've spent time with it. I always ignore anything I feel doesn't apply to me. So in this case, ignore the left tom stuff and just make it work for your set -up. That book is priceless!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    New Breed is a very valuable book. I've spent time with it. I always ignore anything I feel doesn't apply to me. So in this case, ignore the left tom stuff and just make it work for your set -up. That book is priceless!
    Thanks man, so you just went through the book with your normal set up or did you add the 2nd hi hat to the right?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks man, so you just went through the book with your normal set up or did you add the 2nd hi hat to the right?
    I just used my normal set up. I'm a bit of a rebel. I rarely do anything the way they tell me to do it, lol.

User Info Menu

I just used my normal set up. I'm a bit of a rebel. I rarely do anything the way they tell me to do it, lol.
    LOL, I am confused with this book. I do not see any bass drum playing but when I search video's it shows guys playing system 2 melody 1-A and using the BD? I think they are in New Breed 2 which is a different book.

If you still have your new breed book original can you take a look at pg 9, system 1, (one hand on each hi hat)..once I start adding the melody 1-A from page 14 how am I to know which hand to hit the snare drum with?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    LOL, I am confused with this book. I do not see any bass drum playing but when I search video's it shows guys playing system 2 melody 1-A and using the BD? I think they are in New Breed 2 which is a different book.

If you still have your new breed book original can you take a look at pg 9, system 1, (one hand on each hi hat)..once I start adding the melody 1-A from page 14 how am I to know which hand to hit the snare drum with?
    I'm in the middle of work right now but will try to find the book and help you. Give me a day or two.

User Info Menu

I'm in the middle of work right now but will try to find the book and help you. Give me a day or two.
    Thanks, I think I figured it out, whichever limb is not moving in that particular system is the one that plays the melody.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy