Thread: Vintage drum, what is it?

User Info Menu

Default Vintage drum, what is it?

Alright, I bought this, just because I like it, I think it looks cool. It has a stamp in it that says 1972 or 73. The snare drum is an Apollo, but the drums, I know they are a Hoshino product, a cheaper MIJ stencil kit, just was hoping to get some more specific info, and hoping to get some answers here.
    Thanks.
    101857426_1157980554549622_8062384549306302464_o.jpg101969140_1157977824549895_4091000140926550016_o.jpg
    Last edited by Pearldrummer; 06-15-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage drum, what is it?

I've sadly nothing to add as to their identity but I do love that wrap.

User Info Menu

The tom mount bar on the bass drum looks identical to the Apollo kit I had when I was a kid (early 70's) as do the T-rods. But then again that same mount was used by several companies back then. The Pearl Drums Wikipedia page says that Pearl made Apollo drums (among other brands like Reuther and CB700) before branding their own drums in the mid to late 70's... I would say the drums are Apollo too. That's just my guess though.

User Info Menu

Apollo is one of the many distributors of stencil kits that were being made by Pearl. I see you have a bass drum cymbal mount in need of an “L” arm to hold a ride. The shells are probably made of Lauan/Meranti, a common less expensive wood in Asia. They made hardware to mimic popular expensive brand drums as well as their wraps. The throw-offs on stencil kits were usually not so great but everything else I think was very nice. There are some very cool stencil kits with some of the coolest wraps that I think are great. Stencil kits were made for the distributors to meet an affordable option along with the huge demand of drums with the rise of popular rock and roll music.
    I have a Werco kit that is another distributor of Pearl made stencils. I love mine. I also have a Star brand, pre-Tama Jr. kit.

Werco
    0D565F5B-B498-481C-ADB2-3271D10A3A4B.jpg

Star
    3A7A9F81-CFB2-4155-BE42-226D9CCBB6D1.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-02-2020 at 08:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Well a couple things i noticed is the tom mount on the bass drum isnt being used and I would bet those are aftermarket spurs.

As far as what it is.... ummm JC Penny?

I was kind of joking about the Penney's thing but dept stores use to sell kits .. my brothers ex wife had a red sparkle kit that looked like those and the badge said Norma on it. I kind of inherited them but they started falling apart. I remember the kick drum was blue inside.
    Last edited by slinky; 10-08-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Well a couple things i noticed is the tom mount on the bass drum isnt being used and I would bet those are aftermarket spurs.

As far as what it is.... ummm JC Penny?

I was kind of joking about the Penney's thing but dept stores use to sell kits .. my brothers ex wife had a red sparkle kit that looked like those and the badge said Norma on it. I kind of inherited them but they started falling apart. I remember the kick drum was blue inside.
    I’ve almost purchased an orange sparkle Norma kit once. It was in great condition. It didn’t have the matching snare. The blue inside... someone must have painted it.
    Maybe Pearldrummer doesn’t have the hardware to mount the tom to that hotdog rail? (rail consolette). I think you’re right about the bass drum Spurs. They’re too 1980’s.
    Department stores were distributors of stencil kits too. I think Whitehall brand stencils were sold by Sears.