Thread: high hat

User Info Menu

Default high hat

good morning
    was looking at the set up on my pearl high hat. it has a plastic drive strip instead of a chain. there is an aweful clunking noise with the inner rod assembly hitting on the frame..how do I adjust to eliminate.
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

What?

User Info Menu

when I depress the pedal, then release the pedal assembly clunks on the framework above???
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Not sure exactly what you mean but just a guess, is the rod loose?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I "fiddled" with the assembly last night....it seems to be OK re looseness...perhap I am too agressive depressing the pedal...perhaps a lighter touch??
    cheers
    Gerry

User Info Menu

I get that too on my old pearl hi-hat stand. If it has the big, black adjusta-mi-bob towards the bottom, I found that turning that all the way so that it's as low as it can go took away the clunk, although it made the pedal less responsive.

User Info Menu

yes thats what I found..kinda left it in the middle...guess thats spring tension???
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

yep spring tension. Personally though I would rather have the repsonse than get rid of the clunk. But that's me.

User Info Menu

There should be a rubber or felt stop at the top of the peddle assembly that prevents metal to metal contact at the down tub assembly. At least that is what I have with my old Slingerland hi-hat. I haven’t looked at my Gibraltar hi-hat but I’m sure there is a stop of some type.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

You should be able to use a cymbal felt as a washer to deaden the clunk!

all the best...

User Info Menu

actually, i just tried that, had to cut the washer to get around "post", keeps falling off, but sure helps...will focus on that solution and perhaps I will come across the perfect "shock absorber."..thanks for all your advice...
    cheers
    RIFF