Thread: Injured Foot - Practice Tips?

User Info Menu

Default Injured Foot - Practice Tips?

Hey guys,

I recently injured my bass drum foot and I'm trying to adjust my practice routine to give the foot a rest while I recover, meaning no bass drum playing!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips in relation to what to practice without using the bass drum? At the moment, I'm working on various orchestrations of rudiments around the kit, open-handed technique, left foot clave independence, brushes on the snare, and just hi hat technique in general.

I was considering practicing the bass drum with my left foot but not sure how much benefit it would be?

I'd really like to continue working on more musical stuff, rather than solely focusing on technique which is what a lot of my practice has become now. Do you think it's a good idea to practice along to songs/work on soloing etc. with just the hands and left foot, or would it be a bit of a waste of time if I can't incorporate the bass drum?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Injured Foot - Practice Tips?

You can do motion exercises where you move around the kit with both hands together forward and backwards hitting the drums, then the same with one hand leading, first right, then left. This is a great exercise that helps with muscle memory. When you isolate these motions, it's easier to get in and out of similar exercises in the future because it lays down that foundation.

You can also do drumset beats in the air without your drums. While it seems strange, research shows that it is still effective practicing. You brain will adapt to the formation of the rhythms.

Sorry to hear about your foot. I hope you recover quickly.

User Info Menu

Why not start using your other foot on the bass drum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Why not start using your other foot on the bass drum?
    That's a great idea!

User Info Menu

I snapped my right Achilles tendon last September and in an attempt to keep my drumming I clamped the hats closed and played the bd left footed using a double pedal.