Thread: Tama Silverstar all birch bass drum

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Tama Silverstar all birch bass drum

Hi all,

I play on a Tama Silverstar Metro Jam (16" bass drum) the small footprint really helped at the time but now i kinda wish i had a bit more oomph. Unfortunately tama has decided to discontinue the Silverstar line and therefore im finding it very difficult to buy a larger bassdrum.

Is there any bass drums on the market that would fit with an all Birch tama silverstar kit? Is it crazy of me to think I can just pop another bass drum on my existing kit if it is a different product line (or even a different brand, which i am open to).

Is there any other ways i can squeeze some more power out my tiny bass drum? A bass drum Port? obviously because it is so small there will only be so much i can do. (Not really into the idea of triggering

Any input here is welcome.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Silverstar all birch bass drum

Ported seriously can't hurt. But if you look around, there are TAMA superstar classics available in birch. Not sure if you'll get a matching finish however. Be careful as the more current models (one like I had) were maple. I also saw on ebay and reverb, bass drums being sold separately. You might just find your brand somewhere out there. They are there.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I would not worry about matching brands. The silverstar is midgrade at best and any Yamaha SC, Pearl Vision, Mapex Mars, etc etc will work. I have always wanted a drum set with a Maple Bass drum and Birch toms.. Maybe you can find a nice Tama Maple to go with it if you want to match brands or just get any mid grade maple kick.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm currently looking for a 20" bd to replace my 24" for certain gigs and aren't too worried about mixing brands. My rack toms are stand mounted so a different bd mount isn't an issue. As for differing wood types,I doubt that with similar heads and tuning most out the front wouldn't notice a difference.