Thread: One up, two down setup figured out!

User Info Menu

Default One up, two down setup figured out!

Hello all,
    I was excited to post today because after working with the one up, two down setup for awhile I finally got the technique down! When playing a roll through the toms I decided to keep facing forward while playing the second floor tom. Move your arms, not your back. You tend to look at the drums as your playing them which causes you to twist your back getting to the second floor tom. It's kind of like playing golf, don't move your head. When you get to the second floor tom, keep looking forward, not where your hands are going. No more twisting! Also, keep your throne set back far enough. This affords more ease when playing two floors. I went with this setup in order to use bigger toms. To me, bigger toms just sound more pleasing to the ear. They also require less effort to get volume.

User Info Menu

Default Re: One up, two down setup figured out!

Great tip, I'll give it a try.

User Info Menu

One up, two down! lol!DSC02313.jpgDSC02314 2.jpg

User Info Menu

I bet that looks great under stage lights.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TUBTHUMPER View Post
    I bet that looks great under stage lights.
    I was thinking the same thing. That chrome is so cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Sandwich View Post
    Hello all,
    I was excited to post today because after working with the one up, two down setup for awhile I finally got the technique down! When playing a roll through the toms I decided to keep facing forward while playing the second floor tom. Move your arms, not your back. You tend to look at the drums as your playing them which causes you to twist your back getting to the second floor tom. It's kind of like playing golf, don't move your head. When you get to the second floor tom, keep looking forward, not where your hands are going. No more twisting! Also, keep your throne set back far enough. This affords more ease when playing two floors. I went with this setup in order to use bigger toms. To me, bigger toms just sound more pleasing to the ear. They also require less effort to get volume.
    A lot of people have gone to that set up. I'm just really happy with the standard 5 pc. so I haven't changed in years.

User Info Menu

I agree with that look... always liked it. aamof i just picked up a 13" Tama Rockstar rack tom in great condition the other day. It's an original Rockstar MIJ. Just trying to change up my look a little bit.. i think it will look good next to my Yamaha bass drum with the "hot red" finish

$_57.jpeg.jpg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My new kit will be a one up, two down. I typically play two up, two down, but decided to go with something a little different and with some different tom sizes.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

My Ludwigs are 1up-2dwn, but I rarely use the 2nd FT. It requires too much floor space for most of the venues we play. I probably only bring it to 2 or 3 gigs per year.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham