Thread: Premier Resonator- wood or metal hoops?

User Info Menu

Default Premier Resonator- wood or metal hoops?

I've got a 24" Resonator black shadow bass drum which has metal hoops. I'm told that they would've come from the factory with wooden ones but can't find a definitive answer?
    I've been offered some wooden ones but am reluctant to go for them if they'll make no difference to the drum.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Premier Resonator- wood or metal hoops?

I’m 99% sure they would have been wood originally.
    Wood hoops will definitely make a difference in sound..at least Acoustically from behind the kit or up close. If you’re playing live in a band, then no one will be able to tell anyway. The metal hoops are probably more durable for gigging in all honesty.
    I would probably go with wood, just because it’s a classic retro kit and for the sake of originality.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. The ones on it at the moment have really decent chroming,much like the rest of the kit to be fair,and I'm told Premier used the same chromers as Rolls Royce back in the 1980's.
    If I can get the wood hoops for a good price then I might just go for them if only to satisfy my curiosity. As soon as I'm allowed to post pics I'll throw up some of my bd with the chrome hoops.

User Info Menu

I'm in total agreement with Brian. Most of the drum sound is going to come from how they are tuned as opposed to what they are made of or with.

I wouldn't worry about something that is going to have a sound change (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot) depending where they are thanks to the acoustics of a room, bar, club, outdoors etc. etc.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

The drum is birch and I use an Emad 2 batter ( with the small ring in) and a Remad reso. Inside is an Evans eq pad and I've currently got the Resonator liner taken out as I just couldn't get a sound I liked out of it with it fitted.
    If I go for the wood hoops I'll post up a with and without pic to see which one looks better.

User Info Menu

Those old Premiers are some of the best made drums in terms of material and craftsmanship. I have a set of XPK’s that I restored a few years ago. I don’t know what the finish is for sure....but I THINK it may be Black Shadow. Regardless, they’re a fantastic set of drums. They also had metal BD hoops when I got them, but I’m pretty sure they had wood hoops when new.
    154971AE-0195-4226-AFAD-3FB2A3CA5C56.jpg
    E0C06AC2-B360-4136-BD05-DBF33ACA1101.jpg
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Your xpk could well be a black shadow,as mine look almost purple in certain lights. It's down to the laquer, which took a number of days to apply by all accounts.

User Info Menu

They definitely have a purple color when looking at them up close. From 3-4 feet away, they just look black. The finish quality is fantastic. I’ve yet to find another set of drums that are built as well as the Premiers.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TUBTHUMPER View Post
    I've got a 24" Resonator black shadow bass drum which has metal hoops. I'm told that they would've come from the factory with wooden ones but can't find a definitive answer?
    I've been offered some wooden ones but am reluctant to go for them if they'll make no difference to the drum.
    Mine had wood hoops