Thread: When the universe speaks , I listen. Could it just be bad luck?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default When the universe speaks , I listen. Could it just be bad luck?

You know I think it may be time to sell off all my gear. If not for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. If you look at my past posts over the last few years the common theme has been me trying to spend more time playing my kit with the result being getting my chops back to where I feel they should be. Each time I start the process something happens to bring it to a screeching halt.

First is was severe joint pain and gout. A couple years ago it was a broken arm. This year I was making some decent progress and on May 8th a fall at work. Fell 10 feet on to a concrete floor hitting my head on some metal beams on the way down. I suffered a traumatic brain injury , a minor brain bleed , a major concussion , and two broken ribs. The opening in the top of my head required 15 staples , the one going from the top of my left eye up my forehead took a bunch of stitches.The Doctor says I'm lucky I walked away from it. I'm doing fine now but still have occasional dizziness. Can't play my kit at all because the head movement causes dizziness. Doc says it will pass with time. All recent brain scans look good.

Strange thing is I have no idea what happened. One minute I'm filling holes in a concrete wall standing on a metal extension plank , the next thing I know I'm in the hospital. I was told I walked out of the building I was working in with my head covered in blood. Someone sat me down and called 911. Don't remember the ambulance ride either. I was working on two extension planks stretched across metal beams , one behind the other. I was told after the fall one plank was up top and one was on the floor. something went wrong lol.

Doctor feels that because of the shock of the impact my brain won't let me remember the fall , like it's shutting me out of the memory. The first few weeks after the fall were not great. Slept in a chair for 4 weeks and was on pain meds for two weeks. They gave me enough for 4 weeks but I stopped taking them after two, I have a high pain threshold because of having gout so I didn't need to be popping oxy's for 4 weeks. the worst part was the ribs , holy crap don't sneeze!!!! Ouch!!!!

I'm back working now some days I do half a day others I do a full day , depends on how I feel. Actually feeling real good now just need for the occasional dizzy spells to go away. Well there's my latest update. hope to be playing again soon.... Hope you are all well and Covid free . Rock on.....
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 03-04-2021 at 04:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: When the universe speaks , I listen. Could it just be bad luck?

Very sorry to hear about your fall and your chain of bad luck. Listen to me... do not sell your gear right now. We are often left shaking our heads, trying to make sense of our experiences but we can't really know why things happen so we end up speculating. But speculation is not fact, it just helps us to feel in control of our destiny. Give yourself some time to get through this latest set back. Then get back to drumming! If a few years later you still feel that it's not in the cards, then you can make that monumental decision at that time. This is my opinion anyway. Again, sorry about your challenges and I know things will improve. Keep your chin up and live in the day (only). My best to you drum brother!

User Info Menu

So sorry for all of your hard luck, NPYYZ. As drummer eluded, don't sell your gear.

I hope you're on the complete road to recovery. Take time, ease back in, play harder gradually.

Thanks for sharing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Although nowhere near as severe as your injuries,I snapped the Achilles tendon in my right foot last year and spent 3 months in a mobility scooter and on crutches,which put a stop to any drumming activity. About 4 months after the operation to rejoin my tendon I was only just starting to walk without a limp but still in pain at which point I decided to hang my sticks up and sell my gear.
    Luckily for me,some good mates and my wife convinced me to hang in there and not do anything too rashly and I took their advice. Fast forward almost a year and I still have the pain and restricted movement but am back playing and shudder to think that I almost sold a kit I've had for 30 years.
    Things may not go back to what they once were but they do improve and we just need to adjust to it.
    Hang in there mate.

User Info Menu

Sorry for your accident, but it’s awesome that you’re recovering!

Good thing you’re a drummer. A fall like that would have killed a Lead guitar player.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Good thing you’re a drummer. A fall like that would have killed a Lead guitar player.

User Info Menu

BAD LUCK is being married to the wrong person.

Everything else is easy.

I was hit by a moving tree, not too many people can lay claim to that.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

I was hit by a moving tree, not too many people can lay claim to that.
    I can't imagine the insurance claims adjuster's face when he saw that description, LOL.

User Info Menu

Trees don't tend to move that much here in the states.

If 1 gets hit by a mortar shell and shatters, that makes it a whole different story.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

WOW NPYYZ.................
    That is a rough fall........glad you are doing better recently.
    Take all the recovery time thankfully and don't sell any gear...........time will heal the body and the mind.
    I've had the broken ribs too......I know what you mean about the sneeze.

Questions: how did you beat the gout ?
    Was joint pain because of gout or combined with something else ?
    Hands, feet, or both ?

Rick:
    Trees don't move.
    signed,
    Sonny Bono
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    WOW NPYYZ.................
    That is a rough fall........glad you are doing better recently.
    Take all the recovery time thankfully and don't sell any gear...........time will heal the body and the mind.
    I've had the broken ribs too......I know what you mean about the sneeze.

Questions: 1. how did you beat the gout ?
    2. Was joint pain because of gout or combined with something else ?
    3. Hands, feet, or both ?
    1. You never beat it , once you have it , it's for life. I'm on medication that lowers my uric acid level so I do not get flair ups.
    2. The joint pain like gout is a form of arthritis it's a separate thing from the gout.
    3. My joint pain issues are mainly in my feet , ankles , knees and sometimes but not often knuckles on my fingers .

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about all that... glad to hear you're doing better..
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

"Rick:
    Trees don't move.
    signed,
    Sonny Bono"

Stand about 20' in front of 1 when a mortar shell hits it and see how far it doesn't move.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS