Thread: First practice since lockdown

User Info Menu

Default First practice since lockdown

So one of my bands had its first practice since March last night. We spent most of the night setting up a low volume PA, no amps, electronic drums and in ears. We made a lot of progress and finally did get to playing some songs, but unfortunately no one but me worked on the new stuff we said we would add. With a little more tweaking it will be a good system, and we might even consider gigging that way. Our next scheduled gig is outside at a marina on July 26th. We're hopeful that might happen.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: First practice since lockdown

After listening to an infectious disease expert on the radio, it sounds like a Marina is about the safest place to play, due to the wind. Good luck, hope it still happens.

User Info Menu

We’ve had 4 or 5 weekend practices now. In an attempt to “social distance”, we just go to different member’s front porches and play acoustic...all except for the bass player who uses a small portable practice amp. I just play my slap top Cajon. I must admit, it’s a total blast...but our type of music lends itself to front porch acoustic jamming.

Local bars are now starting to hire bands, however dancing is not allowed.

Good luck on your upcoming gig!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm not playing yet but some of my friends are. They're picking up some outdoor gigs. Every now and then something inside but man, that makes me nervous. I've turned down one offer already to do an indoor pick-up gig. - Just not doing it! The dude ended up having to use a trio because a couple of his other band members wouldn't do it either.

User Info Menu

It seems safe but i guess it really isn't yet. This thing might be contained but will probably become a lurking disease like all the other ones.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Gotta love when no one shows up to practice prepared!!!

We have our first get together in two weeks.

User Info Menu

Not one member of my band has even mentioned practice yet.
    I thought of trying it with masks but have made no suggestion.
    The lead singer sets up right in front of the practice kit and we face each other in a circle.
    Not sure I like my position in the practice room............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

The ZZTop project resumes tonight.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sadly,my bands rehearsal space is quite small,and as a 4 piece we'd struggle to keep a suitable distance apart. As I've only recently come back to drumming after an 11 year layoff,and playing for less than a year again, I hope I can still cut it when we're finally allowed to play.

User Info Menu

Bumping this up; I answered a CL ad for a drummer last week. Will be going to an audition on Sunday, September 6. If I get the gig, weekly practices start again every Sunday.

2.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 08-31-2020 at 02:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Jammed with neighbor and a bass keyboard player I used to be in a band with 2 weeks ago. Was great, I have zero concerns about covid but the desire to play has not been strong so it has been working out for me. but if I got offered a decent gig I would have no reservations at all. I am fairly healthy.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO