Thread: Leaving Snare Loose

User Info Menu

Default Leaving Snare Loose

I had a guy (a bit of an assclown to tell you the truth) tell me he leaves his snare loose when not playing in order to reduce wear and tear. All I can tell is it seems to cause the snare to touch the bottom head when you want to play it without the snare engaged. He also lowers the top hi hat cymbal (which may indeed make some sense) and doesn't play with spare sticks laying on top of his bass drum for similar reasons.

Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion?

User Info Menu

"Anal retentive" is the first phrase that comes to mind. Ha! With respect to the guy though, some people are just more particular about things that don't seem to matter to the rest of us. For example, I never really cared if a little 9 year old kid wants to get behind my kit and try banging on it for a few minutes. It usually makes their day. As long as I'm there to watch him, it doesn't matter. But I know some guys that would never think of letting that happen. They are "extremely" protective of their set.

User Info Menu

yeah so true...once i had to share a drum set with a guy at a gig cause the venue was too small for 2 sets and we didn't want to have alot of down time between bands and he barly let me use his set and he wouldn't let me use his cymbals at all....and I'm even pretty experienced...some people are just anal

User Info Menu

i dont care less who plays my drums but then they arnt the greatest so they won hurt them. i'm not particular
    max

User Info Menu

I always turn both my snares and my hi hats down when i'm not playing, and not for any perticular reason, i guess just to do pointless excesive things, because i'm kind of obsessive compulsive! lol

User Info Menu

i am protective of my set. specially if i just added something new or updated something. but if you ask me to play my set i would probably let you. and i do let my 3 year old sister sit on my lap(shes a pro at drumming) and bang. but just long as you have my permission i will let you play. other wise you don't. i take my drumsticks home with me so if you are tempted you can't play with my sticks. but i leave everything else. but i do have a question about the part you say
    he leaves his snare loose when not playing in order to reduce wear and tear.
    does it really matter wether its loose or not?

User Info Menu

no...it doesn't matter....some people think that it does but it doesn't make any noticable difference at all

User Info Menu

in fact....logically speaking, the more movement on an object the more wear and tear, so in essence constantly moving your snare wires up and down and moving the lever all the time will actually increase your wear and tear and you are better off just leaving it up all the time..

User Info Menu

the more movement on an object the more wear and tear
    yeah, but it's going to take like 15 years for it to make a noticable difference, and by that time you might probably would have already replaced your snares.

User Info Menu

..exactly..

User Info Menu

makes sence to me thanks

User Info Menu

I don't care about my set right now until I get a new one. Mine is used twice. It's got a little mold in a tom-tom and the front bass drum hoop is loose, even with the claws holding it in, so it makes a rattling sound all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by esdawg
    I had a guy (a bit of an assclown to tell you the truth) tell me he leaves his snare loose when not playing in order to reduce wear and tear. All I can tell is it seems to cause the snare to touch the bottom head when you want to play it without the snare engaged. He also lowers the top hi hat cymbal (which may indeed make some sense) and doesn't play with spare sticks laying on top of his bass drum for similar reasons.

Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion?

okay..im REALLY tired of these anal people who think if they loosen up the snare the tear rate will go down...total bullsh*t (pardon my french, but ive had it up to here with this)

wanna reduce the pain to your skins? then need to be somewhat properly tuned and it has to have the SAME pressure on each lug all around...check them every 3 hours you play to make sure they are all perfectly even

I know people that say they play too hard on their set because they have little dimples on their skins...not true...unless you puncture the skin your not playing too hard its about balance of the skin

Hope this helped!
    Good Luck!