Thread: Am I reading this right

User Info Menu

Default Am I reading this right

Hey guys,

Been on the longest break I have ever taken since I took up drumming 14 years ago. A whole 4 months with not even pad work, quit the band, sold some stuff and have done absolutely nothing drum wise. I think it was just a hiatus and for some reason went down stairs and played for 2 hrs tonight.

Anyway I am starting the new Breed book but not sure I am reading the 1st sheet (pg 14) correctly so I added in pencil what I am seeing can you guys check this and let me know if I am missing something? I do not remember seeing 2 different rests that represent the same space, like the 2, 3 in the 1st bar? Then again I was never a really great reader.

Also not sure about the 2 note rests starting in the 9th bar?

Thanks
    [869[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Am I reading this right

Hey man, glad you're back at it! Sometime taking a break from drumming is just what the doctor ordered. Yup, all your numbers over the notation is right. I would recommend a few quick lessons from a pro teacher. He/She can go over the basics of reading and really set you on the right course. Then, instead of calling that rest in the 9th bar a "2 note rest", you will call it a "half rest" which is the proper music terminology. Reading drum notation can seem overwhelming in the beginning but like anything else, practice makes perfect. - Good luck!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Am I reading this right

Ahhh yes, half note rest. It is slowly coming back to me. Thanks
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO