Thread: Which Kit to Keep?

User Info Menu

Default Which Kit to Keep?

First timer. From Australia.
    I am lucky enough to be in possession of two kits. I have not had either of them very long. Both in very nice nick. A Gretsch Catalina Birch 7 piece and just lately, a Pearl 6 piece Vision VBX (the older model) in Orange Sparkle, which is truly a good looker. I just couldn't pass up the price on the Vision. I am only a bit better than a beginner, and even though I have the opportunity to sit at both kits, I simply do not know which one to keep. To me, they both sound similar. But I am a real novice. Going into the future I would like to think I made the right choice as I improve...........Could you guys just throw your two-bobs worth with in please? Would appreciate it greatly.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Kit to Keep?

Welcome to the forum! Both kits you mentioned are good kits for the stage you are at (beginner), and really the question you need to ask yourself is which one makes you want to sit down and play? Neither kit will make you better as a drummer by itself, but if you are drawn to one more because you really like something about it (the looks, the name, whatever), you may end up practicing on it more as a result. The practice is what will make you grow as a drummer, so go with the kit that inspires you more to jump on and practice!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Keep them both trust me. It's always great to have two kits. You never know when you might need to take on to a practice spot for a new band and need one for your place. Or keep one packed up for gigs only so you don't have to keep tearing down and setting up for practice. Take it from me who has like 11 kits right now... It's great to have options!

User Info Menu

I agree with Zack. If you can, keep both. While I don't have quite the inventory Zack does, when my 2 bands were both gigging, I had 3 full kits and 2 sets of hardware in cases ready to go at all times, plus a full kit set up at a rehearsal site as well as another full acoustic kit and ekit set up at home for practice. Could go from one band's gig to another to rehearsal or practice at home without taking a cymbal off a stand or unpacking a thing. And I was never caught at a gig missing anything.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Close your eyes and point at one. Get rid of that one.

Love the "two bobs" reference. Figured it was an Australian expression so I looked it up.

two-bob definition: Noun 1. (Australia, slang) A 20-cent coin. 2. (idiomatic, UK, Australia) A trivially small value; often used attributively.

5d524836f0119f072bb605ff9c1a2582.jpg
    Welcome to our drumchat family. Great to have you here! You're not a beginner with us, you're a drum brother! Now go fill out our Drum Chat Initiation Form and you'll get your official, virtual membership card.

On a more serious note, feel free to introduce yourself if you'd like.

User Info Menu

Here's another two bobs reference.

User Info Menu

Thank you all guys. Some fantastic advice. I'll take it all on board. I believe I will hang on to both of them for a little bit. But in the end, one must go. It's not a money thing. I actually own 6 kits. I have bought them 'underpriced' due to people selling a lot of stuff during these times. I very much enjoy stripping them down and rejuvenating them then on-selling them. (have sold 1 so far) but I haven't been doing it long. And I wont make a million out of it. Fact is, I've come across two kits that appeal in many ways, hence the thread.
    I will keep practicing on both. I lean towards the Gretsch a little bit because it was my first buy. The other 5 kits I have bought were never going to be for me. They were for renovating fun. Until I finished the Vision, took the For Sale photos then sat behind it...............it plays and sounds terrific and is unreal to look at in Orange Sparkle. I can only imagine how both of these kits would sound if I could actually really play.

User Info Menu

Yeah, great to have two, but within your ability, keep one you can hold.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lydia. It really is a bit pointless keeping two kits. Geez, I don't get to play one often because of my job.
    And thank you all. To think about much I have..........

User Info Menu

They are both very similar, whenever I had 2 kits and sometimes 3 I preferred them to be all different woods so they sounded a little different. Having 2 similar kits made from the same wood is pointless IMO unless you really love that sound and gig 1 of them while practicing with the other.

Both your kits have their plus and minuses, I assume the sizes and number of drums are the same so I would just go with whichever color you like the best, or which is easier to tune etc. You probably have an idea which way your leaning. If still unsure let fate decide for you and put both of them up for sale and keep the one that does not sell 1st.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.

I suggest you buy a 3rd kit so you don't have to decide between the other two.

I've said this before and I firmly believe it to be a good indicator of your likes and dislikes. Check out the hardware of each kit. The beefiest and the easiest to use would be an easier way to eliminate one or the other. If the drums/shells are similar enough, the hardware should be vastly different. Hardware can make or break a drum company's attractiveness. Just ask MDK and inthepocket. Am I right, boys? lol

Good luck with your decision making.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Both sound like great kits, but To me, it’s the orange sparkle for the win.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham