Thread: Powder coating

User Info Menu

Default Powder coating

Has anyone had their hardware powder coated? i ask because I have a kit coming in soon that is going to have a lot of black in it, and my hardware is chrome. I'm thinking black hardware would really look better, and want to see if there are some options out there other than purchasing all new hardware.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Powder coating

I didn't do it but one of my good friends took all his kit hardware off and had it powder coated a custom color. It turned out fantastic.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

How much thickness does powder coating add? I'd be afraid my telescoping hardware would fight back.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Well you have a chromed surface that will have to be sand blasted or glass beaded first for the powder coat to adhere. Bish brought up a great point. Telescoping hardware may be an issue but maybe not. That might be the first thing to try to test it out.
    I would think it’d be pretty labor Intensive to properly pull apart all hardware, blast it, powder coat it, re-assemble it.... I see $$$ but I honestly don’t know.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-27-2020 at 06:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the posts. I spoke with the builder and he told me to stick with the chrome hardware. The kit will be a satin black with some red accents, and he said the chrome will make it pop.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Thanks for the posts. I spoke with the builder and he told me to stick with the chrome hardware. The kit will be a satin black with some red accents, and he said the chrome will make it pop.
    That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it complete.

I'm sure you know this but if you wanted to take a test run with black hardware, I know Mapex makes an entire set of black hardware and it's the better gear, too. Most likely less expensive than powder coating.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I should have some photos soon. The shells are complete and the wrap is supposed to be in any day now. Once he gets the wrap applied I’m supposed to get some photos that I can share.

As far as shells go I went with a 22x18 kick, 13x9, 16x14, and 18x16 toms, and a 14x5.5 snare - all maple. The kit will have tube lugs and 3mm black nickel hoops.