Thread: Gus Johnson

User Info Menu

Default Gus Johnson

Gus Johnson was an American swing drummer and started playing professionally at the age of ten. He played with various bands and spent time in the military. After that, he played with more bands and played on Willie Dixon's debut album. (Dixon wrote among many faomous songs such as: "Hoochie Coochie Man", "I Just Want to Make Love to You", "Little Red Rooster", "My Babe", "Spoonful", and "You Can't Judge a Book by the Cover" which have been covered by practically everyone.)

He also played and recorded with Count Basie (eight albums), Lawrence Brown, Ray Bryant, Buck Clayton, Al Cohn, Willie Dixon and Memphis Slim, Ella Fitzgerald, Coleman Hawkins, Johnny Hodges, Willis Jackson, Herbie Mann, Gerry Mulligan, Joe Newman, Chico O'Farrill, Oscar Pettiford, Al Sears, Zoot Sims, Rex Stewart and Cootie Williams, Ralph Sutton and Ruby Braff, Ralph Sutton and Jay McShann, Ralph Sutton and Kenny Davern, Buddy Tate, Frank Wess, Lem Winchester, Kai Winding and others.

This is Gus playing "Perdido" with the Count Basie big band recorded in 1954.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gus Johnson

Very cool. I must be getting old because I'm finally starting to like this old style big band stuff a little, lol.

Seriously, this was "Top 40" back in our great grandparents day. They would dance to this at their high school proms. This was before the Beatles and rock and roll made their indelible mark on America.