Thread: Drum Overhead Mic Shootout. Neumann Shure Akg Blue Etc

User Info Menu

Default Drum Overhead Mic Shootout. Neumann Shure Akg Blue Etc

did another shootout. quickly put together so don't judge me too much!!

details are in the description. enjoy!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Overhead Mic Shootout. Neumann Shure Akg Blue Etc

Nice Kevin
    I was more intrigued on how much bass you could hear from some of them. The Neumann U87 was super bassy

User Info Menu

Maybe it’s the room! And i had a kick mic in the mix. Not too much hopefully!

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing the video. Man if I could afford mics like the U87 it would open up a whole new dimension to my ears while mixing my drum tracks but I’m a hobbyist at best but now I understand why these mics are $3,000+ each.

User Info Menu

Rich!! Where the hell have you been? LOL ... I remember when you disappeared last time: https://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/24543-Late8 Ha-ha!

User Info Menu

Hi Tom!
    Don’t mean to hijack this thread.
    Still trying to reach 10,000 hours on the kit and I’m hearing a lot of improvements on the tracks we recorded recently but it’s a slow go at trying to keep motivated when there’s no place to play right now.

Been messing around on some more original material at my buddy’s home studio. Added a 2nd mic, a beta 52 to the kick and having fun mixing it with the Audix D6 that’s in the port.

It’s a challenge to get the right blend between the two mics but settled on inverting the D6 at the DAW and compressing the heck out of the 52 since it’s at the edge of the reso.

Was thinking about making or buying a kick sub-woofer but had a 52 laying around and now got more punch to the bottom end.

BC004606-5C8A-4E27-959C-376F1E00099D.jpg

Got the D6 buried deep and it’s favoring the right beater with a bit of laundry stuffed inside soak up some of the unwanted overtones. Going for a heavy thud but lacked a bit of the boom until now.
    Aquarian SKII on the batter and Remo Ebony on the reso.

2A0A1003-5134-44F6-ACE7-969E1C516018.jpg

Still doing a weekly jam with a few guys to keep the live vibe going and looking forward to doing something different as far as music genre is concerned. Maybe find some other people to jam when we can get out again?

06B84FF0-CB1C-4C53-89E2-3877BCB148B1.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 08-08-2020 at 02:05 AM.