Thread: Upside down China with rivets

User Info Menu

Default Upside down China with rivets

What happens to the sizzle sound if you play a China cymbal upside down that has factory installed rivets? The head of the ruvets would be on the under side.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Upside down China with rivets

It won't sound as nice. Play the china whichever way the rivet heads are actually touching the cymbal, not hanging down. I prefer them to be bell-up for this, if I install rivets to one.

User Info Menu

I have a riveted china where the rivets are upside down if you play it in the "normal" bell down configuration, and to me it doesnt change the sound too much. However I have split rivets so that may contribute to the sound not changing too much.

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone is going to notice any difference at all... either way up or down it'll sound like a china with rivets

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I don't think anyone is going to notice any difference at all... either way up or down it'll sound like a china with rivets
    Agreed. No difference in sound.

User Info Menu

I've got an old 20" Zildjian "Pang" cymbal I bought in the mid 70s. It's interesting but doesn't get much use anymore. I am planning to install rivets and will orient them for "upside down" playing so I can cross the flange with the stick when desired. I'd like to place it over the hats and smaller toms in a position to work on open handed play.
    At 69 that may sound overly ambitious but pre-pandemic I had a small jazz/blues/whatever combo up here in the northern hinterlands and we played enough that my left hand was totally starting to amaze me. And my playing is hardly ever good enough for me.