Thread: Racks for Rookies

User Info Menu

Default Racks for Rookies

Folks,

I am getting back into acoustic drums after 15-20 years away. When I sold my kit back in 1994, everything was on single stands or mounted to the kick. With a new kit, I think I'd like to go the rack route -- the kit is going to be for recording (likely will never play out), and I like the idea of a smaller floor footprint and locking down everything so it doesn't walk around the room after a few hours of hard playing.

My challenge is that there does not seem to be a "Drum Racks For Idiots" guide anywhere so I can understand what clamps are used for what purpose and the like. Are there any suggestions on where to get started?

Thanks in advance.

--C. Scyphers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Racks for Rookies

Quote Originally Posted by cscyphers View Post
    Folks,

I am getting back into acoustic drums after 15-20 years away. When I sold my kit back in 1994, everything was on single stands or mounted to the kick. With a new kit, I think I'd like to go the rack route -- the kit is going to be for recording (likely will never play out), and I like the idea of a smaller floor footprint and locking down everything so it doesn't walk around the room after a few hours of hard playing.

My challenge is that there does not seem to be a "Drum Racks For Idiots" guide anywhere so I can understand what clamps are used for what purpose and the like. Are there any suggestions on where to get started?

Thanks in advance.

--C. Scyphers
    Welcome to the forum C. Scyphers. Here's a short video to help you figure out the basics and what's needed to set up a rack system for your kit. "Brent's Hang" is a series of videos produced by Gibraltar which is owned by DW drums. Brent is the rack guru and he sets up so many rack systems for the pros but still knows that there are guys like us who need some help and suggestions. If you have any further questions, come back and we will try to help navigate you through the process. Good luck!

User Info Menu

32 B's should do it, at least till you get a handle on things
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 08-13-2020 at 06:17 AM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Needed a small footprint at the studio, 3-sided Gibraltar with 36” V-bars for sides:

Rack helped for set up at outdoor venue with uneven footing:

For multi-band stage set up, the rack fit pretty tight up front:

Last edited by late8; 08-14-2020 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

That's a small footprint?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    That's a small footprint?
    Ok...ya got me. Small compared to this maybe? I’ve had my fun with racks:

Threw in the kitchen sink on this set up:

Last edited by late8; 08-14-2020 at 05:16 PM.