Thread: Stagg 20" Genghis Jazz Ride

User Info Menu

Default Stagg 20" Genghis Jazz Ride

Guys,

My son really loves playing jazz, and had mentioned in the past that he may want to get a ride more suited to jazz than the 20" Zildjian A Medium that he has on his kit. Looking for a mid-priced used Jazz ride around here (and on Reverb) I couldn't come up with anything in the range I was looking to spend. I stumbled across a 20" Stagg Genghis Jazz ride as a blemish on MF for $130. I listened to all the sound files I could find on the ride and read every review that was out there. It sounded good to me and the reviews all liked it. I had no experience with Stagg, always thought they were entry level. From what I read, they dumped a bunch of money into their factory and are trying to work their way into the Dream territory of lower priced, but pro grade cymbals. I took a chance and ordered the ride, and it arrived last Friday. My son loves it, it is the sound he was looking for. We took it to lesson on Sunday to let our drum instructor play it and he was really impressed. It is darker than the A, with good stick definition, a nice wash, and extremely crashable. Nice bell sound as well. Would I pay the $289 new price? Probably not, I would go used Zildjian/Sabian at that point, but for $130 this thing sounds really good.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stagg 20" Genghis Jazz Ride

I love it when things work out like that! Sounds like you did some homework and picked a good one.

User Info Menu

Congrats! $130 for a decent ride is a steal. Any pics?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Congrats! $130 for a decent ride is a steal. Any pics?
    Ride 1.jpgRide 2.jpg

Ask and you shall receive! The blemish appears to be the fading of the logo top right.
    Last edited by OldeEnglishD; 08-20-2020 at 06:30 AM.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Ride 1.jpgRide 2.jpg

Ask and you shall receive! The blemish appears to be the fading of the logo top right.
    Wow! That's a sweet looking ride! I bet it sounds perfect. Congrats!!