Thread: build your own?

User Info Menu

Default build your own?

still going on and on about my floor tom ..LOL.
    I have a pieced together low end kit. am slowly, piece by piece going to upgrade (I think). I have just ordered a new 16X16 6ply keller maple shell through amdrum. I plan on using the old pearl hardware so initial costs will be mimimal. i think that when I'm done I will have a drum ( kit ?) that I will be proud of, for the money.

is / has anyone else on the forum "built" their own kit, and if so what are your experiences...is the value there...was it satisfying...what about re-sale...what about the final quality..

cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

I knew someone who built their drumkit all by themselves. I'll try and find the pictures, I won't lie it didn't sound that awesome though. It was nice how he tuned it but for any other tuning it sounded pretty dodgy.

User Info Menu

You know drums are not rocket science. If you can get a good router table and jig for cuting bearing edges smoothly and perfect. and a drill jig for drilling aligned and true holes, there is no reason at all you can't build a really good sounding kit. There is so much information on the internet about how to do it and what techniques to employ, I really think tht most anyone with a basic knowledge and some level of wood working skills can build a really nice sounding drum kit. And think of the pride you would have showing it off! I am going to build my own kit here in the next year. I have already built my son a 10&6 snare ( 10ply with 6ply rerings) it sounds really good and looks really good as well. It wasn't all that hard. Laying everything out to make sure the alignment of the lugs were perfect and those types of things were the real challenge.