Thread: Just ordered the new Speed King pedal

User Info Menu

Default Just ordered the new Speed King pedal

I just ordered the new Speed King pedal, it should arrive sometime in October.
    I would have preferred to try it out at my local Guitar Center, but they can't even get one to demo.
    I am hoping it performs like my old Speed King back in the 70's.
    Has anyone else got one on order, or has gotten one? I'm dying for some feedback.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just ordered the new Speed King pedal

Quote Originally Posted by DRUMMER1971 View Post
    I would have preferred to try it out at my local Guitar Center, but they can't even get one to demo.
    Has anyone else got one on order, or has gotten one? I'm dying for some feedback.
    Congrats on ordering the "new" Speed King. I've read a lot of positive reviews on the old version from older drummers who swore by this pedal. For $200, it looks like a winner. I'd like to try one out but after the rush to buy is over.

User Info Menu

I'd also be interested in adding that to my pedal arsenal, especially since I don't have a direct drive.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad, Roland PD-85 (x3) and KD9 pads
    Alessis Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge

Hardware:
    Tama and DW

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Does it still squeak? LOL
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

That's what made it so endearing and also so annoying, LOL!
    Let's hope after almost 50 years since my last Speed King, they have finally conquered the squeak problem! LOL

User Info Menu

I have 1 that I bought about 4-5 years ago. It was rebuilt with new bearings, the heel plate doesn't move, and it doesn't squeak.

My job now is to find the damn thing.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRUMMER1971 View Post

When I bought the 1 mentioned above, I put it on my drums and realized that you can never go home again.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    When I bought the 1 mentioned above, I put it on my drums and realized that you can never go home again.
    You are probably right, you can never go home again, but I guess I was trying to recapture the feeling of a newbie drummer some 50 plus years ago, with the first pedal I ever owned.

User Info Menu

I learned on Speed Kings (dbl bass drms) in the mid 60's that I played for the first 7-8 years before switching to swivo-matics. Then after a post family multi decade hiatus from playing I rebooted with a dw 9002.
    They were great for a ham footed bury the beater wanna be rock star. The pedals of today are simply much more suitable to playing with feathery finesse and precision.
    And at least one of my S-K's squeaked sometimes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I learned on Speed Kings (dbl bass drms) in the mid 60's that I played for the first 7-8 years before switching to swivo-matics. Then after a post family multi decade hiatus from playing I rebooted with a dw 9002.
    They were great for a ham footed bury the beater wanna be rock star. The pedals of today are simply much more suitable to playing with feathery finesse and precision.
    And at least one of my S-K's squeaked sometimes.
    It wasn't a Speed King without the squeak.��. I'm surprised Ludwig didn't patent the squeak!