Thread: Any suggestions on a new kit?

User Info Menu

Default Any suggestions on a new kit?

Hello all. I want to get my first kit since I was a kid, I have very little experience. It has been a few decades since I played. These 4 kits caught my eye as they seem like good quality for the price. Any input or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mapex Saturn Studio ease

PDP Concept Maple Series

Pearl Session Studio Select

Ludwig Evolution Maple

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any suggestions on a new kit?

You really cannot go wrong with Mapex Saturn, Easily the best kit on this list.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Thank you MDK. I Appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Honestly, check the used market around you (facebook, craigslist, etc.). You can get a pro level kit for an entry level price if you have a little patience. I picked up a 6 piece Pearl Masters Studio Birch with Sabian AA and Zildjian A cymbals, all hardware for $800 last year. There are great deals out there right now.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Thank you Olde English D. I will keep a watch on Craigs.

User Info Menu

I'm just throwing this out there.

You might consider looking at Pearls Crystal Beats. They are Acrylic seamless drums that I find interesting.

They had been used in a clinic and were off-sized drums, 14"x24"BD, 12"x8" &13"x9" up toms 14" x14" & 16"x16" FT's.

If you go to 1 of my videos where it says Crystal Beats, you can see what they look like.

It was a shell pack but I had some stands hanging around and I picked up a Zildjian cymbal set that were used in another clinic. 20" ride, 18" medium crash, 18"medium thin crash, 17" medium thin crash and 14" hats. They were like brand new for $400.

After getting a few odds and ends (boom stand & straight stand) I had a pretty nice set of drums for somewhere between $1400-$1500.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Thank you Rick. I think the Crystals are one of the most beautiful kits out there. I was told they are extremely loud (perhaps for live gigs?)

User Info Menu

I have two PDP kits. I absolutely LOVE them!

One is an older PDP X7 but man she sounds amazing!
    The other is the new Concept Classic Maple and they sound huge!

You can't go wrong with PDP because honestly it's an intro DW kit.

User Info Menu

Any of those are excellent starter...even mid-level kits that can take you as far as you want to go. I’d say it’s more about cost, features and what catches your eye.
    I know from owning one, the new PDP concept maples are fantastic drums and an incredible bargain.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If you don't mind poplar shells these drums are pretty nice. I learned of them from a Vinnie and Carmine Appice clinic I went to. Vinnie is the one currently endorsing them. I was sitting right in front of him and they sounded great. Pricing is unbelievable too for rock out sizes. 24" kicks 16 and 18" floor toms. Cons I suppose are that they don't have a big selection of finishes and the poplar shells but poplar isn't too bad really.. i kind of think they get labeled as a beginner shell too much. I don't know too much about the company other than what I've read at their website but they sell everything which makes me think they must just buy shells and put their name on them. Like buying Keller shells and building it from there. Just speculating

Sawtooth Drums
    Last edited by slinky; 09-08-2020 at 03:41 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Being as drum tuning is such a personal preference, how 1 person hears them and thinks they sound great, another person might think
    they sound like **** (that's poop for those of you that don't read asterisk).

Buy the drums that you want. How you tune them is far more important than what type wood they are.

My Ludwig set has 6 toms. They are made of 3 different types of wood, and 1 is acrylic. Nobody has been able to tell the difference yet.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Take a look at the Mapex Armory. I’ve been playing one for about two years now and have been blown away by mine. They tune easily, hold tune, sound great, and stack up well against other kits that may cost more.

A500D39E-A7D8-46BA-9AA5-5F392243AA60.jpg

E4A09F4E-9FEE-4ACA-91FF-DB7CF91D926A.jpg
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals