Thread: Old is new, save a kit. PDP

User Info Menu

Default Old is new, save a kit. PDP

Been fumbling around looking for a 2nd kit since I sold everything but my Yamaha Recording Customs. I also trimmed it back to a basic 5 pc kit.

Well of course that wasn't enough so I spent some money on a SONOR Select Maple kit. It was ok but I found I don't like the tom arm/clamp mechanism very much. After 3 months I put it up for sale and it sold within a few weeks.

So the shopping continues. A couple of days ago I saw a 7 pc PDP kit for sale on Fakebook. I added to the convo of how nice it was and that I'd had a similar kit years ago and thought they were very decent. My intent was to show interest but not jump on it.

The seller messaged me last night if I was interested. I praised the kit and all but stopped short of the asking price. He asked my budget, said I didn't have one but was set on not spending as much as the asking price of his kit, so the bartering began.

I told him I would like to look at it before making any decisions so upon asking where he was located, it turns out he was about a 10 minute drive from my house. So I said I'd like to look it over and go from there. He asked about coming last night and at first I said no but then after realizing how close he was I decided to make the drive last night.

I told the wife I was going out for an errand. She asked where and I told her I was going to look over a kit. She asked if I was going to buy it and I said not till it's inspected plus I didn't have any cash on me. She offered up an amount that I could take over and barter with.

So now I'm armed and ready but still in my mind I'm not going to take the deal for any reason if I'm not winning.

I looked over the kit, 7 pc in really good condition with usual scratch marks and nasty heads.

I finally offered him what my wife had given me and after about a half hour of chit-chat, he agreed to do the deal and I was taking them home last night.

All in all it took about an hour to make the deal. Now the kit is in my basement, needing a cleaning and head change and then a photo op. It was late last night when I got them home so I didn't do anything but bring them in.

Pictures to follow soon.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Old is new, save a kit. PDP

Nice, always love to hear about a good score. Can't wait to see pics!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Pictures as promised.

Signature here

User Info Menu

and the balance of current photos...

This is the kit that financed the PDPs.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Those look great Bish! Congrats and the nice find.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Good score on the MIM PDP kit. The craftsmanship is equal to what DW was producing before they moved from Oxnard to Mexico. How do they sound?

User Info Menu

Beautiful looking kit Bish!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Those look great Bish! Congrats and the nice find.
    Thank you. I think for once the deal went my way. haha
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Good score on the MIM PDP kit. The craftsmanship is equal to what DW was producing before they moved from Oxnard to Mexico. How do they sound?
    Good to know. As you may be able to tell, I've left the heads on it that came with it. They sound thuddy now but still hold the tone and the note. Kinda don't wanna change heads yet. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Beautiful looking kit Bish!
    Thank you. Not often do I choose a natural finish but at this point it wasn't about the finish. It was shell count, pure and simple.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That is killer Mark! And yes I have all the parts you need

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    That is killer Mark! And yes I have all the parts you need
    Yeah, sorry I didn't respond to your text reply. I did smile however.

I did find two clamps - one for the 8 and the other for the 14. I knew I had at least one so that worked out. I think I'm going to run with this set up for now and will let you know what I want to do. How much shipped? Thanks my friend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Very nice!
    Thanks, Marc.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I used to have a PDP LX snare that I used for many years. Enjoy those nice drums. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army