Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    So my oldest is in 10th grade, and part of the packet of information sent home this year is class ring catalog. I know my son isn't into the whole "School Pride" thing but I ask if he wants a class ring. He replies that it wouldn't really mean anything to him, he would want to wear something that he cared about. Well a few years ago I ran across a jeweler who is a drummer and makes custom snare drum rings. You heard that right, snare drum rings! I ask my son if he would like one made of his Acrolite (that he and I refurbished a few years back and he loves) and his jaw dropped. The jeweler does a special in Sterling Silver (he will do gold, white gold, etc. for much higher price), with proper badge and engraving on the inside for $350. That is around the cost of a class ring up here, so we felt it was a good trade off. We contacted the jeweler (who is an hour south of us) and he talked us through the process. We went to a local jeweler to get his finger sized, sent him a picture of the acro so he has proper badge, and he said he should have it done in 2 weeks. He will be sending pics as it is being crafted. My son is so excited, he can't wait to go pick it up. I will post pics as I get them...
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    That sounds like something that would hold meaning. Nice find.

    I wonder if Drum-bum has anything like that?
    Signature here

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    So my oldest is in 10th grade, and part of the packet of information sent home this year is class ring catalog. I know my son isn't into the whole "School Pride" thing but I ask if he wants a class ring. He replies that it wouldn't really mean anything to him, he would want to wear something that he cared about. Well a few years ago I ran across a jeweler who is a drummer and makes custom snare drum rings. You heard that right, snare drum rings! I ask my son if he would like one made of his Acrolite (that he and I refurbished a few years back and he loves) and his jaw dropped. The jeweler does a special in Sterling Silver (he will do gold, white gold, etc. for much higher price), with proper badge and engraving on the inside for $350. That is around the cost of a class ring up here, so we felt it was a good trade off. We contacted the jeweler (who is an hour south of us) and he talked us through the process. We went to a local jeweler to get his finger sized, sent him a picture of the acro so he has proper badge, and he said he should have it done in 2 weeks. He will be sending pics as it is being crafted. My son is so excited, he can't wait to go pick it up. I will post pics as I get them, here is a link to the Jeweler (lots of pics of the rings and videos of the process.)
    OE, I had to remove the link as it is against the forum rules to post commercial links. But that's an exciting find and I'm excited for your son!
    - Tom

    Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

    Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

    Or make a donation here.



    I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

    On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.


  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    OE, I had to remove the link as it is against the forum rules to post commercial links. But that's an exciting find and I'm excited for your son!
    Not a problem sir, completely understand. I will post pics of the ring/process as the jeweler sends them.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    I wanna see!
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 7pc PDP Concept Maple Classic | 5pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 65 Snare drums and growing!

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I wanna see!
    Me too, I am texting the jeweler today to see if it has started the process. Will share any pics I get.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Dylan Ring 1.JPG

    Here are the CAD drawings of the ring. It goes into casting Sunday
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Dylan Ring 1.JPG

    Here are the CAD drawings of the ring. It goes into casting Sunday
    That looks amazing.
    Signature here

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That looks amazing.
    Yeah I am super excited to see the finished product. Will post more as I get them.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Yeah I am super excited to see the finished product. Will post more as I get them.
    So cool! That’s awesome!

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Dylan Ring 2.jpgDylan Ring 3.jpgDylan Ring 4.jpg
    Last thing that needs to be done is the badge, he hand crafts it out of your choice of yellow gold or silver, son picked yellow gold. Should be picking it up Saturday.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Dylan Ring with Badge.jpg
    And with the badge
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    get out of here!!! That is amazing!!!!
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 7pc PDP Concept Maple Classic | 5pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 65 Snare drums and growing!

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    get out of here!!! That is amazing!!!!
    I know, I think I am ordering one for me as well. Spaz you could get one too, but which of the 65 snares would you choose?
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    hahahahahaha this is a dilemma indeed!
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 7pc PDP Concept Maple Classic | 5pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 65 Snare drums and growing!

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Very, very cool!!!

    I'd have to go with Brass Recording Custom.
    Signature here

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Very, very cool!!!

    I'd have to go with Brass Recording Custom.
    I would go with the Hannah Ford model.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    That is amazing! Shut Up And Take My Money!!

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    We picked it up Saturday and it is even better looking in person. The jeweler is a great guy, spent 20 minutes talking to us and going over the process. He has made hundreds of these rings over the years, but it is still his favorite thing to make. He has made one for Mike Portnoy and some other famous drummers. He was shipping one out to Norway after he got done talking to us. My son is over the moon with the ring.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    We picked it up Saturday and it is even better looking in person. The jeweler is a great guy, spent 20 minutes talking to us and going over the process. He has made hundreds of these rings over the years, but it is still his favorite thing to make. He has made one for Mike Portnoy and some other famous drummers. He was shipping one out to Norway after he got done talking to us. My son is over the moon with the ring.
    That's just one heck of a feel good story. Glad your son is diggin' it.
    Signature here

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •