Thread: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

User Info Menu

Default Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

So my oldest is in 10th grade, and part of the packet of information sent home this year is class ring catalog. I know my son isn't into the whole "School Pride" thing but I ask if he wants a class ring. He replies that it wouldn't really mean anything to him, he would want to wear something that he cared about. Well a few years ago I ran across a jeweler who is a drummer and makes custom snare drum rings. You heard that right, snare drum rings! I ask my son if he would like one made of his Acrolite (that he and I refurbished a few years back and he loves) and his jaw dropped. The jeweler does a special in Sterling Silver (he will do gold, white gold, etc. for much higher price), with proper badge and engraving on the inside for $350. That is around the cost of a class ring up here, so we felt it was a good trade off. We contacted the jeweler (who is an hour south of us) and he talked us through the process. We went to a local jeweler to get his finger sized, sent him a picture of the acro so he has proper badge, and he said he should have it done in 2 weeks. He will be sending pics as it is being crafted. My son is so excited, he can't wait to go pick it up. I will post pics as I get them...
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Awesome Drum Ring for my son's Class Ring

That sounds like something that would hold meaning. Nice find.

I wonder if Drum-bum has anything like that?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    So my oldest is in 10th grade, and part of the packet of information sent home this year is class ring catalog. I know my son isn't into the whole "School Pride" thing but I ask if he wants a class ring. He replies that it wouldn't really mean anything to him, he would want to wear something that he cared about. Well a few years ago I ran across a jeweler who is a drummer and makes custom snare drum rings. You heard that right, snare drum rings! I ask my son if he would like one made of his Acrolite (that he and I refurbished a few years back and he loves) and his jaw dropped. The jeweler does a special in Sterling Silver (he will do gold, white gold, etc. for much higher price), with proper badge and engraving on the inside for $350. That is around the cost of a class ring up here, so we felt it was a good trade off. We contacted the jeweler (who is an hour south of us) and he talked us through the process. We went to a local jeweler to get his finger sized, sent him a picture of the acro so he has proper badge, and he said he should have it done in 2 weeks. He will be sending pics as it is being crafted. My son is so excited, he can't wait to go pick it up. I will post pics as I get them, here is a link to the Jeweler (lots of pics of the rings and videos of the process.)
    OE, I had to remove the link as it is against the forum rules to post commercial links. But that's an exciting find and I'm excited for your son!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    OE, I had to remove the link as it is against the forum rules to post commercial links. But that's an exciting find and I'm excited for your son!
    Not a problem sir, completely understand. I will post pics of the ring/process as the jeweler sends them.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I wanna see!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I wanna see!
    Me too, I am texting the jeweler today to see if it has started the process. Will share any pics I get.

User Info Menu

Dylan Ring 1.JPG

Here are the CAD drawings of the ring. It goes into casting Sunday

User Info Menu

Dylan Ring 1.JPG

Here are the CAD drawings of the ring. It goes into casting Sunday
    That looks amazing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That looks amazing.
    Yeah I am super excited to see the finished product. Will post more as I get them.

User Info Menu

Yeah I am super excited to see the finished product. Will post more as I get them.
    So cool! That’s awesome!

User Info Menu

Dylan Ring 2.jpgDylan Ring 3.jpgDylan Ring 4.jpg
    Last thing that needs to be done is the badge, he hand crafts it out of your choice of yellow gold or silver, son picked yellow gold. Should be picking it up Saturday.

User Info Menu

Dylan Ring with Badge.jpg
    And with the badge

User Info Menu

get out of here!!! That is amazing!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    get out of here!!! That is amazing!!!!
    I know, I think I am ordering one for me as well. Spaz you could get one too, but which of the 65 snares would you choose?

User Info Menu

hahahahahaha this is a dilemma indeed!

User Info Menu

Very, very cool!!!

I'd have to go with Brass Recording Custom.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Very, very cool!!!

I'd have to go with Brass Recording Custom.
    I would go with the Hannah Ford model.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

That is amazing! Shut Up And Take My Money!!

User Info Menu

We picked it up Saturday and it is even better looking in person. The jeweler is a great guy, spent 20 minutes talking to us and going over the process. He has made hundreds of these rings over the years, but it is still his favorite thing to make. He has made one for Mike Portnoy and some other famous drummers. He was shipping one out to Norway after he got done talking to us. My son is over the moon with the ring.

User Info Menu

We picked it up Saturday and it is even better looking in person. The jeweler is a great guy, spent 20 minutes talking to us and going over the process. He has made hundreds of these rings over the years, but it is still his favorite thing to make. He has made one for Mike Portnoy and some other famous drummers. He was shipping one out to Norway after he got done talking to us. My son is over the moon with the ring.
    That's just one heck of a feel good story. Glad your son is diggin' it.
    Signature here