Thread: Manny Kellough

User Info Menu

Default Manny Kellough

MANUEL “MANNY” KELLOUGH was born in Los Angeles and started playing drums at eight years old at a baptist church and started playing professionally at the age of thirteen. At 17 he started playing with Ray Charles. Later he was with Barry White, Carmen McCrae, Larry Graham, The Platters, The Ink Spots, The Main Ingredient, The Rolling Stones (on the Goat's Head Soup Tour), Quincy Jones (on the Sanford & Son tv theme song), Lenny Welch and the Legendary Flamingos, James Cleveland, Doby Gray, Freddie Hubbard, and many others.

Manny was a session drummer for more than thirty years on many jazz, pop, and rock songs and is considered a legend among his peers and performers. He says he "learned what drumming was all about" while with Ray Charles.

He received a masters degree in music from the Universiy of Southern California in 1974. He produced the first Las Vegas Gospel Music Awards Ceremony. In 2004 he won "Best Jazz Band" at the Black Music Academy with "The Manny Kellough Jazz Trio.

He Played with Billy Preston for over 25 years and won four gold records with Billy including the hit song "Nothing From Nothing".

This is Manny playing "Nothing from Nothing" from the Bill Preston album "The Kids and Me"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Manny Kellough

This is Manny playing with his group "the Manny Kellough Jazz Quartet" playing "Sometimes I'm Happy" with Azure McCall - vocals, Dave Bennette - tenor sax , Ashley Wey - piano, and Chris Luard - bass.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Manny Kellough

This is Manny playing with Billy playing "Them Changes". I found this and just had to include it. When you watch and listen you know why. You just gotta be noddin' your head and stompin' your feet.

Last edited by aboveforever; 10-03-2020 at 11:38 PM.